Influence of jam processing upon the contents of phenolics, organic acids and free amino acids in quince fruit (Cydonia oblonga Miller)
- 513 Downloads
Phenolic compounds, organic acids and free amino acids of quince were evaluated, before and after jam processing, to test the effect of thermal processing in these compounds. In addition, the composition of jams prepared with peeled and unpeeled quinces was compared. Phenolics, organic acids and free amino acids were analysed by HPLC/DAD, HPLC/UV and GC/FID, respectively.
KeywordsCydonia oblonga Miller Quince fruit Jam Phenolic compounds Organic acids Free amino acids
Branca M. Silva is grateful to Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia for a grant (PRAXIS XXI/BD/21339/99). The authors would also like to thank Branca J. Cardoso for helping with sample preparation.
- 1.Wildman REC (2001) Nutraceuticals: a brief review of historical and teleological aspects. In: Wildman REC (ed) Handbook of nutraceuticals and functional foods. CRC, Boca Raton, Florida, pp 1–12Google Scholar
- 2.Guthrie N, Kurowska, EM (2001) Anticancer and cholesterol-lowering activities of citrus flavonoids. In: Wildman REC (ed) Handbook of nutraceuticals and functional foods. CRC, Boca Raton, Florida, pp 113–126Google Scholar
- 3.Decreto-Lei no. 97/94 de 28 de Março (1984) Diário da República—I Série B PortugalGoogle Scholar
- 4.Andrade PB, Carvalho ARF, Seabra RM, Ferreira MA (1998) J Agric Food Chem 46:968–972Google Scholar
- 5.Silva BM, Andrade PB, Mendes GC, Valentão P, Seabra RM, Ferreira MA (2000) J Agric Food Chem 48:2853–2857Google Scholar
- 7.Silva BM, Andrade PB, Valentão P, Mendes GC, Seabra RM, Ferreira MA (2000) Food Chem 71:281–285Google Scholar
- 9.Macheix J-J, Fleuriet A, Billot J (1990) Fruit phenolics. CRC, Boca Raton, FloridaGoogle Scholar
- 10.Silva BM, Andrade PB, Ferreres F, Domingues AL, Seabra RM, Ferreira MA (2002) J.Agric Food Chem 50:4615–4618Google Scholar
- 11.Silva BM, Andrade PB, Mendes GC, Seabra RM, Ferreira MA (2002) J Agric Food Chem 50:2313–2317Google Scholar