Simultaneous analysis of Pb2+ and Cd2+ at graphene/bismuth nanocomposite film-modified pencil graphite electrode using square wave anodic stripping voltammetry
- 46 Downloads
A graphene/bismuth nanocomposite film-modified pencil graphite electrode was quickly prepared for the simultaneous analysis of cadmium and lead heavy metal ions by square wave anodic stripping voltammetry. The pencil graphite electrode’s surface was directly modified from graphite to graphene with cyclic voltammetry method in a single step by performing potential cycling between − 0.9 and − 1.4 V in 0.2 mol L−1 NaOH modifying solution. A linear relationship between peak current and concentration was obtained in the range between 5–100 μg L−1 for both Cd2+ and Pb2+, with detection limits of 0.12 μg L−1 for Cd2+ and 0.29 μg L−1 for Pb2+. The developed electrode with the proposed method has been applied to a Canadian-certified reference water sample and tap water sample with reliable results. For tap water sample, the obtained results were in a good agreement with the results provided by AAS.
KeywordsSquare wave anodic stripping voltammetry Electrochemically coated graphene Pencil graphite electrode Lead and cadmium analysis
Koray Bahadır DÖNMEZ is gratefully acknowledged for his help in this study. The authors also acknowledge Tolga ÖZCAN from Mir Unique Solutions for his help with the SEM images.
This research was financially supported by Mir Unique Solutions.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.Zhao G, Wang H, Liu G. Sensitive determination of trace Cd(II) and Pb(II) in soil by an improved stripping voltammetry method using two different in situ plated bismuth-film electrodes based on a novel electrochemical measurement system. RSC Adv. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1039/c7ra12767g.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Lima AF, Da Costa MC, Ferreira DC, Richter EM, Munoz RAA. Fast ultrasound-assisted treatment of inorganic fertilizers for mercury determination by atomic absorption spectrometry and microwave-induced plasma spectrometry with the aid of the cold-vapor technique. Microchem J. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2014.07.012.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Mketo N, Nomngongo PN, Ngila JC. An innovative microwave-assisted digestion method with diluted hydrogen peroxide for rapid extraction of trace elements in coal samples followed by inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry. Microchem J. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2015.08.010.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Banks CE, Kruusma J, Hyde ME, Salimi A, Compton RG. Sonoelectroanalysis: Investigation of bismuth-film-modified glassy carbon electrodes. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2004.Google Scholar
- 13.Safardoust-Hojaghan H, Salavati-Niasari M, Motaghedifard MH, Hosseinpour-Mashkani SM. Synthesis of micro sphere-like bismuth nanoparticles by microwave assisted polyol method; designing a novel electrochemical nanosensor for ultra-trace measurement of Pb2+ ions. New J Chem. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1039/c5nj00532a.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Pokpas K, Jahed N, Tovide O, Baker PG, Iwuoha EI. Nafion-graphene nanocomposite in situ plated bismuth-film electrodes on pencil graphite substrates for the determination of trace heavy metals by anodic stripping voltammetry. Int J Electrochem Sci. 2014.Google Scholar
- 19.Legeai S, Soropogui K, Cretinon M, Vittori O, Heeren De Oliveira A, Barbier F, et al. Economic bismuth-film microsensor for anodic stripping analysis of trace heavy metals using differential pulse voltammetry. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2005.Google Scholar
- 20.Serrano N, Díaz-Cruz JM, Ariño C, Esteban M. Stripping analysis of heavy metals in tap water using the bismuth film electrode. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2010.Google Scholar
- 26.Zhu L, Xu L, Huang B, Jia N, Tan L, Yao S. Simultaneous determination of Cd(II) and Pb(II) using square wave anodic stripping voltammetry at a gold nanoparticle-graphene-cysteine composite modified bismuth film electrode. Electrochim Acta. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2013.10.209.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Zaib M, Athar MM. Electrochemical evaluation of Phanerocheaete chrysosporium based carbon paste electrode with potassium ferricyanide redox system. Int J Electrochem Sci. 2015;10(8):6690–702.Google Scholar
- 30.Puttaiah M, Yanjerappa AN. Development of gold modified disposable pencil graphite electrode for the electrochemical investigation of acetaminophen present in pharmaceutical formulations and biological samples. Anal Bioanal Electrochem. 2017;9(7):841–61.Google Scholar
- 38.Zhao G, Wang H, Liu G. Electrochemical determination of trace cadmium in soil by a bismuth film/graphene-β-cyclodextrin-nafion composite modified electrode. Int J Electrochem Sci. 2016;11:1840–51.Google Scholar