Electrochemical DNA biosensors for label-free breast cancer gene marker detection
- 66 Downloads
We present an electrochemical DNA detection strategy based on self-assembled ferrocene-cored poly(amidoamine) dendrimers for the detection of a gene relevant to breast cancer. The chemisorption of three ferrocene-cored poly(amidoamine) generations and hybridization of single-stranded DNA on a Au electrode were studied by cyclic voltammetry and differential pulse voltammetry. The biosensor demonstrated high sensitivity of 0.13 μA/(ng/ml) in the detection of the target DNA with a linear range of 1.3–20 nM and a detection limit of 0.38 nM. The DNA biosensor also has high selectivity for the target DNA, showing a clear signal difference from a noncomplementary sequence and a single-base-mismatch sequence, which was used as a model of BRAC1 gene mutation. The results shown are highly motivating for exploring DNA biosensing technology in the diagnosis of breast cancer caused by mutation of the BRAC1 gene.
KeywordsElectrochemical DNA biosensor Ferrocene Poly(amidoamine) Dendrimer Breast cancer
Some of this work was performed at the former Fatih University as a part of the work presented in FK’s master thesis.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- 7.World Health Organization. Cancer. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/cancer (2018).
- 9.Chen L, Liu X, Chen C. Impedimetric biosensor modified with hydrophilic material of tannic acid/polyethylene glycol and dopamine-assisted deposition for detection of breast cancer-related BRCA1 gene. J Electroanal Chem. 2017;791:204–10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelechem.2017.03.001.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Godet I, Gilkes DM. BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations and treatment strategies for breast cancer. Integr Cancer Sci Ther. 2017;4(1). https://doi.org/10.15761/icst.1000228.
- 23.D A Tomalia, H Baker, J Dewald, M Hall, G Kallos, S Martin, J Roeck, J Ryder, P Smith, (1985) A New Class of Polymers: Starburst-Dendritic Macromolecules. Polymer Journal 17 (1):117-132Google Scholar
- 25.Li Q, Yu C, Gao R, Xia C, Yuan G, Li Y, et al. A novel DNA biosensor integrated with polypyrrole/streptavidin and Au-PAMAM-CP bionanocomposite probes to detect the rs4839469 locus of the vangl1 gene for dysontogenesis prediction. Biosens Bioelectron. 2016;80:674–81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2016.02.025.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Zhu N, Gao H, Gu Y, Xu Q, He P, Fang Y. PAMAM dendrimer-enhanced DNA biosensors based on electrochemical impedance spectroscopy. Analyst. 2009;134(5):860-6. d https://doi.org/10.1039/B815488K.
- 27.Kavosi B, Salimi A, Hallaj R, Moradi F. Ultrasensitive electrochemical immunosensor for PSA biomarker detection in prostate cancer cells using gold nanoparticles/PAMAM dendrimer loaded with enzyme linked aptamer as integrated triple signal amplification strategy. Biosens Bioelectron. 2015;74:915–23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2015.07.064.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Borisova B, Sánchez A, Jiménez-Falcao S, Martín M, Salazar P, Parrado C, et al. Reduced graphene oxide-carboxymethylcellulose layered with platinum nanoparticles/PAMAM dendrimer/magnetic nanoparticles hybrids. Application to the preparation of enzyme electrochemical biosensors. Sens Actuators B. 2016;232:84–90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2016.02.106.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Bizid S, Blili S, Mlika R, Haj Said A, Korri-Youssoufi H. Direct electrochemical DNA Sensor based on a new redox oligomer modified with ferrocene and carboxylic acid: application to the detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis mutant strain. Anal Chim Acta. 2017;994:10–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2017.09.022.CrossRefGoogle Scholar