Long noncoding RNAs: from genomic junk to rising stars in the early detection of cancer
- 198 Downloads
Despite having been underappreciated in favor of their protein-coding counterparts for a long time, long noncoding RNAs (lncRNAs) have emerged as functional molecules, which defy the central dogma of molecular biology, with clear implications in cancer. Altered expression levels of some of these large transcripts in human body fluids have been related to different cancer conditions that turns them into potential noninvasive cancer biomarkers. In this review, a brief discussion about the importance and current challenges in the determination of lncRNAs associated to cancer is provided. Different electrochemical nucleic acid-based strategies for lncRNAs detection are critically described. Future perspectives and remaining challenges for the practical implementation of these methodologies in clinical medicine are also discussed.
KeywordsLong noncoding RNA Tumor biomarkers Liquid biopsy Electrochemical biosensors Molecular diagnosis
The authors acknowledge the financial support from the Spanish Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad (project no. CTQ2015-63567-R, co-financed by FEDER funds).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.http://www.who.int/cancer/en. (last accessed 13-11-2018).
- 2.Stewart BW, Wild CP, editors. World cancer report 2014. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2014.Google Scholar
- 36.Cheng H, Liu J, Ma W, Duan S, Huang J, He X, et al. Low background cascade signal amplification electrochemical sensing platform for tumor-related mRNA quantification by target activated hybridization chain reaction and electroactive cargo release. Anal Chem. 2018;90(21):12544–52.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 39.Wang C, Yu J, Han Y, Li L, Li J, Li T, et al. Long non-coding RNAs LOC285194, RP11-462C24.1 and Nbla12061 in serum provide a new approach for distinguishing patients with colorectal cancer from healthy controls. Oncotarget. 2016;7(43):70769–78.Google Scholar
- 41.Shi T, Gao G, Cao Y. Long noncoding RNAs as novel biomarkers have a promising future in cancer diagnostics. Dis Markers. 2016;2018:9085195.Google Scholar