Dispersive solid-phase extraction based on MoS2/carbon dot composite combined with HPLC to determine brominated flame retardants in water
- 245 Downloads
The method based on the dispersive solid-phase extraction (DSPE) by novel molybdenum disulfide modified with carbon dot (MoS2/CD) composite combined with high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) was developed for the determination of three brominated flame retardants (BFRs), including tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA), tetrabromobisphenol A bisallylether (TBBPA-BAE), and tetrabromobisphenol A bis(2,3-dibromopropyl ether) (TBBPA-BDBPE). Owing to the stacked planar structure and large surface area of MoS2, a large number of CDs can be easily loaded on the surface of MoS2. Benefiting from good dispersing capability of MoS2, similar density with analytes, and hydrogen bonds between CDs and the target analytes, the CDs on the surface of MoS2 as sorbent for the DSPE procedure exhibited good extraction performance. Under optimal conditions, application of the developed method to analyze BFRs from real water samples resulted in good recovery values ranging from 80 to 91% with relative standard deviation (RSD) values lower than 6.5%. Limits of detection (LODs) were in the range of 0.01–0.06 μg/L. The result above showed that the method has potential for the extraction and detection of trace-level BFRs from real water sample.
KeywordsDispersive solid-phase extraction MoS2 Carbon dots Brominated flame retardants Determination
The authors appreciate the support from the Natural Science Foundation of Shaanxi Province (2017JM2038).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- 5.European Brominated Flame Retardant Industry Panel (EBFRIP). EBFRIP questions Norwegian proposal to restrict the use of TBBPA and HBCD in consumer products, statement. EBFRIP. 2007.Google Scholar
- 6.Leonards P. Brominated flame retardants in office dust samples. In: Second international workshop on brominated flame retardants; 2001.Google Scholar
- 15.Chokwe TB, Okonkwo JO, Sibali LL, Ncube EJ. Optimization and simultaneous determination of alkyl phenol ethoxylates and brominated flame retardants in water after SPE and heptafluorobutyric anhydride derivatization followed by GC/MS. Chromatographia. 2012;75:1165–76.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 24.Mijangos L, Bizkarguenaga E, Prieto A, Fernández LA, Zuloaga O. Simultaneous determination of a variety of endocrine disrupting compounds in carrot, lettuce and amended soil by means of focused ultrasonic solid-liquid extraction and dispersive solid-phase extraction as simplified clean-up strategy. J Chromatogr A. 2015;1389:8–18.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Pashaei Y, Ghorbani-Bidkorbeh F, Shekarchi M. Superparamagnetic graphene oxide-based dispersive-solid phase extraction for preconcentration and determination of tamsulosin hydrochloride in human plasma by high performance liquid chromatography-ultraviolet detection. J Chromatogr A. 2017;1499:21–9.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 44.Liu L, Liu A, Zhang Q, Shi J, He B, Yun Z, et al. Determination of tetrabromobisphenol-A/S and their main derivatives in water samples by high performance liquid chromatography coupled with inductively coupled plasma tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 2017;1497:81–6.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar