Synchrotron radiation phase-contrast X-ray CT imaging of acupuncture points
- 390 Downloads
Three-dimensional (3D) topographic structures of acupuncture points were investigated by using synchrotron radiation in-line X-ray phase contrast computerized tomography. Two acupuncture points, named Zhongji (RN3) and Zusanli (ST36), were studied. We found an accumulation of microvessels at each acupuncture point region. Images of the tissues surrounding the acupuncture points do not show such kinds of structure. This is the first time that 3D images have revealed the specific structures of acupuncture points.
KeywordsAcupuncture point Synchrotron radiation X-ray Phase contrast Microvessel
This work was supported by the National Basic Research Program of China (no. 2006CB504509) and the Project of the State Key Program of the National Science Foundation of China (Grant no. 10635060). We also would like to thank the staff of SSRF BL13W for technical support and their help in treatment of IL-XPCT images.
- 12.Shen XY, Wang H (1999) Acupuncture and Moxibustion. People’s Medical Publishing House, Beijing, p 311 and 372Google Scholar
- 13.Zheng LY, Xu ZX, Zhen XC et al (2003) Objective detection and labeling of the common acupuncture points in rabbits Shanghai. J Acupunct Moxibustion 22(5):26–29Google Scholar
- 15.Kak AC, Slaney M (1988) Principles of computerized tomographic imaging. IEEE, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 16.Xie HL, Deng B, Du GH et al (2010) Advanced imaging technology and application of Shanghai synchrotron radiation source. Mod Phys 3:42–50Google Scholar
- 17.Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility (2011) SSRF homepage. http://ssrf.sinap.ac.cn/english/. Accessed 27 Feb 2011
- 18.Gao CJ, Chen EY, Cai GJ (2005) X-anatomy study and computer image analysis of distribution of microvessel density in pulmonary carcinoma. Anat Clin 10(2):98–100Google Scholar