Recent developments in trace analysis of poly- and perfluoroalkyl substances
Recent developments, improvements, and trends in the ultra-trace determination of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs) in environmental and human samples are highlighted and the remaining challenges and uncertainties are outlined and discussed. Understanding the analytical implications of such things as adsorption of PFASs to surfaces, effects of differing matrices, varying PFAS isomer response factors, potential bias effects of sampling, sample preparation, and analysis is critical to measuring highly fluorinated compounds at trace levels. These intricate analytical issues and the potential consequences of ignoring to deal with them correctly are discussed and documented with examples. Isomer-specific analysis and the development of robust multi-chemical methods are identified as topical trends in method development for an ever-increasing number of PFASs of environmental and human interest. Ultimately, the state-of-the-art of current analytical method accuracy is discussed on the basis of results from interlaboratory comparison studies.
KeywordsPerfluoro Highly fluorinated PFASs Analysis Environmental Human
- 1.Martin JW, Kannan K, Berger U, de Voogt P, Field J, Franklin J, Giesy JP, Harner T, Muir DCG, Scott B, Kaiser M, Jaernberg U, Jones KC, Mabury SA, Schroeder H, Simcik M, Sottani C, Van Bavel B, Karrman A, Lindstroem G, van Leeuwen S (2004) Analytical challenges hamper perfluoroalkyl research. Environ Sci Technol 38:248A–255ACrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Guidance for perfluorochemicals analysis (2010) Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. http://www.pca.state.mn.us/index.php/view-document.html?gid=13564. Accessed 13 Jan 2011
- 9.Kissa E (2001) Fluorinated surfactants and repellents, 2nd edn. Marcel Dekker, New York, p 80Google Scholar
- 38.Keller JM, Calafat AM, Kato K, Ellefson ME, Reagan WK, Strynar M, O’Connell S, Butt CM, Mabury SA, Small J, Muir DCG, Leigh SD, Schantz MM (2010) Determination of perfluorinated alkyl acid concentrations in human serum and milk standard reference materials. Anal Bioanal Chem 397:439–451CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.Longnecker MP, Smith CS, Kissling GE, Hoppin JA, Butenhoff JL, Decker E, Ehresman DJ, Ellefson ME, Flaherty J, Gardner MS, Langlois E, LeBlanc A, Lindstrom AB, Reagen WK, Strynar MJ, Studabaker WB (2008) An interlaboratory study of perfluorinated alkyl compound levels in human plasma. Environ Res 107:152–159CrossRefGoogle Scholar