Detection of thiopurine methyltransferase activity in lysed red blood cells by means of lab-on-a-chip surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy (LOC-SERS)
- 742 Downloads
In this contribution, the great potential of surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS) in a lab-on-a-chip (LOC) device for the detection of analyte molecules in a complex environment is demonstrated. Using LOC-SERS, the enzyme activity of thiopurine S-methyltransferase (TPMT) is analysed and identified in lysed red blood cells. The conversion of 6-mercaptopurine to 6-methylmercaptopurine catalysed by TPMT is observed as it gives evidence for the enzyme activity. Being able to determine the TPMT activity before starting a treatment using 6-mercaptopurine, an optimized dosage can be applied to each patient and serious toxicity appearing within thiopurine treatment will be prevented.
KeywordsSERS Microfluidic lab-on-a-chip Enzyme activity Thiopurine methyltransferase 6-Mercaptopurine
We gratefully acknowledge the Free State of Thuringia and the European Union (EFRE) for financial support under support code 2008FE9112 and 2008FE9113 (BioOptiSens).
- 7.Jacqzaigrain E, Bessa E, Medard Y, Mircheva Y, Vilmer E (1994) Thiopurine methyltransferase activity in a French population—HPLC assay conditions and effects of drugs and inhibitors. Br J Clin Pharmacol 38(1):1–8Google Scholar
- 10.Monaghan PB, McCarney KM, Ricketts A, Littleford RE, Docherty F, Smith WE, Graham D, Cooper JM (2007) Bead-based DNA diagnostic assay for chlamydia using nanoparticle-mediated surface-enhanced resonance Raman scattering detection within a lab-on-a-chip format. Anal Chem 79(7):2844–2849CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.R RDCTI (2008) A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, AustriaGoogle Scholar
- 25.Cortes C, Vapnik V (1995) Mach Learn 20:273–297Google Scholar
- 26.Ivanciuc O (2007) Applications of support vector machines in chemistry. In: Lipkowitz KB, Cundari TR, and Boyd DB (eds) Reviews in computational chemistry, vol. 23, pp. 291–400. Wiley-VCH, WeinheimGoogle Scholar
- 27.Szeghalmi AV, Leopold L, Pinzaru S, Chis V, Silaghi-Dumitrescu I, Schmitt M, Popp J, Kiefer W (2005) Adsorption of 6-mercaptopurine and 6-mercaptopurine riboside on silver colloid: a pH dependent surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy and density functional theory study. Part I. 6-Mercaptopurine. J Mol Struct 735:103–113CrossRefGoogle Scholar