Performance evaluation of a miniature ion mobility spectrometer drift cell for application in hand-held explosives detection ion mobility spectrometers
- 435 Downloads
The implementation of hand-held ion mobility spectrometers (IMS) requires the development and evaluation of miniature drift cells providing high sensitivity while maintaining reasonable resolution. This manuscript describes the construction of a miniature IMS designed for such an application and its characterization by evaluation of the detection limits and resolution of the system with seven explosive compounds including trinitrotoluene (TNT), cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine (RDX), pentaerythritol tetranitrate (PETN), 2,4,6-trinitrophenyl-N-methylnitramine (Tetryl), nitroglycerin (NG), 2,4-dinitrotoluene (2,4 DNT), and 2,6-dinitrotoluene (2,6 DNT).
KeywordsMiniature IMS Explosives Capacitive-transimpedance amplifier CTIA
The authors would like to acknowledge Gene Atlas and Kim Johnson of Imager Laboratories for turning concepts into functional devices, and the Department of Energy, Subcontracts A0334-30141 and A0344677767, for support of this work. Sandia is a multiprogram laboratory operated by Sandia Corporation, a Lockheed Martin Company, for the United States Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration under contract DE-AC04-94AL85000.
- 3.Teepe M, Kang WJ, Nayer A, Baumbach JI, Schmidt H (2000) Int J Ion Mobility Spectrom 4:173–176Google Scholar
- 4.Sizov FF, Derkach YP, Kononenko YG, Reva VP (1999) Readout device processing electronics for IR linear and focal plane arraysGoogle Scholar
- 5.Denton MB (2001) Abstracts of Papers, 222nd ACS National Meeting, Chicago, IL, United States, pp 26-30, August 2001, ANYL-170Google Scholar
- 6.2006 Final Annual Report to the United States Department of Energy, Subcontracts A0334-30141 and A0344677767Google Scholar
- 7.United States Patent, 7403065Google Scholar
- 14.Tyndall AM, Powell CF (1930) Proc Roy Soc London A129:162–180Google Scholar
- 15.Zverev AI (1967) Handbook of filter synthesis. Wiley, New York, p 71Google Scholar
- 16.LabView Version 7.1, National Instruments, Inc., FIR Windowed Filter.VI, 7.1 ed., 2006Google Scholar