Determination of illicit and medicinal drugs and their metabolites in oral fluid and preserved oral fluid by liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry
- 415 Downloads
An LC-MS/MS method using 0.5 ml of oral fluid was developed for the determination of morphine, codeine, 6-monoacetylmorphine, methadone, amphetamine, methamphetamine, 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine, 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, 3,4-methylenedioxy-N-ethylamphetamine, benzoylecgonine, cocaine, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, zolpidem, zopiclone, alprazolam, clonazepam, oxazepam, nordiazepam, lorazepam, flunitrazepam, diazepam, diphenhydramine and amitriptyline. The method was fully validated in terms of linearity (the method was linear between 1–5 μg/L and 100–200 μg/L) recoveries (7.5–82.6%), within-day and between-day precisions and accuracies (CV and MRE, both <15%), limits of detection (0.5 μ g/L) and quantitation (the lowest point on the calibration curve), relative ion intensities, freeze-and-thaw stability and matrix effect. The method was applied to preserved oral fluid collected by a special commercial device, the StatSure Saliva Sampler™.
KeywordsLC-MS/MS Drugs Oral fluid
The authors thank Daniel González Aido for his technical assistance.
- 1.Samyn N, De Boeck G, Verstraete A (2002) J Forensic Sci 47(6):1380–7Google Scholar
- 2.Cone EJ (1993) Ann NY Acad Sci 694:91–127Google Scholar
- 3.Verstraete A (2000) ROSITA: Roadside Testing Assessment (ROSITA Contract No. DGVII PL 98–3032). Ghent University, GhentGoogle Scholar
- 4.López-Rivadulla M, Concheiro M, de Castro A, Quintela O, Cruz A (2006) In: Verstraete AG, Raes E (eds) ROSITA 2 Project, Final Report. Academia, GhentGoogle Scholar
- 5.Bundesanstalt für Straßenwesen (2008) The Integrated Project DRUID online website. http://www.druid-project.eu/cln_007/Druid/EN/home/homepage__node.html?__nnn=true. Last accessed 24 April 2008
- 9.Concheiro M, de Castro A, Quintela O, Cruz A, López-Rivadulla M (2004) J Chromatogr B 810:319–324Google Scholar
- 12.US Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (2001) Guidance for industry: bioanalytical method validation. http://www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/4252fnl.htm. Accessed March 2007
- 13.International Conference on Harmonization (1996) Validation of analytical methods: Definitions and terminology (Q2(R1)). http://www.ich.org/LOB.media/MEDIA417.pdf. Accessed March 2007
- 18.European Union (2002) Decision 2002/657/EC (17/8/2002). Off J Eur Commun 221:8–36Google Scholar