Determination of benzimidazole- and bicyclic hydantoin-derived selective androgen receptor antagonists and agonists in human urine using LC–MS/MS
- 324 Downloads
Selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs) represent a novel class of drugs with tissue-specific agonistic and antagonistic properties, which are prohibited in sports from January 2008 according to the World Anti-Doping Agency. Preventive approaches to restrict the use of SARMs include early implementation of target analytes into doping control screening assays. Five model SARMs were synthesized, four of which are analogs to prostate-specific androgen receptor antagonists with a 5,6-dichloro-benzimidazole nucleus. The fifth SARM is a muscle-tissue specific agonist with a bicyclic hydantoin structure (BMS-564929). Dissociation pathways after negative electrospray ionization were studied using an LTQ-Orbitrap mass analyzer, and diagnostic product ions and common fragmentation patterns were employed to establish a screening procedure that target the intact SARMs as well as putative metabolic products. Sample preparation based on solid-phase extraction and subsequent LC–MS/MS measurement allowed for detection limits of 1–20 ng/mL, intra- and interday precisions of between 2.4 and 13.2% and between 6.5 and 24.2%, respectively. Recoveries varied from 89 to 106%, and tests for ion suppression or enhancement effects were negative for all analytes.
KeywordsDoping Sport Mass spectrometry Precursor ion scan SARMs Fragmentation Liquid chromatography
The study was carried out with the support of the Federal Office of Sports, Magglingen, Switzerland, and the Manfred Donike Institute for Doping Analysis, Cologne, Germany.
- 2.Hengge UR (2003) AIDS Read 13:S15–S21Google Scholar
- 3.Moretti C, Frajese GV, Guccione L, Wannenes F, De Martino MU, Fabbri A, Frajese G (2005) J Endocrinol Invest 28:56–64Google Scholar
- 11.Omwancha J, Brown TR (2006) Curr Opin Investig Drugs 7:873–881Google Scholar
- 12.World Anti-Doping Agency (2008) The 2008 Prohibited List. http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/2008_List_En.pdf. Accessed 28 Nov 2007
- 15.Thevis M, Kohler M, Schänzer W (2007) Mass spectrometry of new growth promoting drugs: hydantoin-derived selective androgen receptor modulators and growth hormone secretagogues. In: Schänzer W, Geyer H, Gotzmann A, Mareck U (eds) Recent advances in doping analysis. Sport und Buch Strauß, Cologne (in press)Google Scholar
- 17.Ng RA, Guan J, Alford VC Jr, Lanter JC, Allan GF, Sbriscia T, Linton O, Lundeen SG, Sui Z (2007) Bioorg Med Chem Lett 17:784–788Google Scholar
- 25.Thevis M, Schänzer W (2005) J Chromatogr Sci 43:22–31Google Scholar
- 26.ICH (2005) Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology. http://www.ich.org/LOB/media/MEDIA417.pdf. Accessed 28 Jan 2008
- 27.Kromidas A (1999) Validierung in der Analytik. Wiley-VCH, WeinheimGoogle Scholar
- 39.Thevis M, Kohler M, Schlörer N, Kamber M, Kuhn A, Linscheid MW, Schänzer W (2007) J Mass Spectrom. DOI 10.1002/jms.1364