Detection of antinuclear antibodies by a colloidal gold modified optical fiber: comparison with ELISA
A fiberoptic evanescent-wave sensor has been developed for the measurement of antinuclear antibodies in sera from patients and healthy individuals. The sensor was constructed on the basis of modification of the unclad portion of an optical fiber with self-assembled gold colloids, where the colloidal gold surface was further functionalized with extractable nuclear antigens. Results show that detection of antinuclear antibodies by this sensor agrees quantitatively with the clinically accepted enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) method. This sensing platform has the following advantages: label-free and real-time detection capability, simple to construct and use, highly sensitive, and does not require a secondary antibody. The sensitivity of this platform is at least an order of magnitude higher than that of the ELISA method and thus may lead to a new direction in recognition of immune response.
KeywordsAntinuclear antibodies Fiberoptic biosensor Localized surface plasmon resonance Gold nanoparticles Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay
Support of this research by the National Science Council (Republic of China), Buddhist Dalin Tzu Chi General Hospital, and National Chung Cheng University through grant no. NSC 92-2320-B-320-024 is acknowledged.
- 1.Killard AJ, Deasy B, O’Kennedy R, Smyth MR (1995) Trends Anal Chem 14:257–266Google Scholar
- 7.Hoch SO (1989) In: Baldo BA, Tovert ER (eds) Protein blotting: methodology, research and diagnostic applications. Karger, Basel, pp 140–164Google Scholar
- 13.Frederix F, Friedt J-M, Choi K-H, Laureyn W, Campitelli A, Mondelaers D, Maes G, Borghs G (2003) 75:6894–6900Google Scholar
- 14.Immco Diagnostics (2007) Product insert. http://www.immcodiagnostics.com/Products/IFA/1103.php. Cited 9 Mar 2007
- 17.Immco Diagnostics (2007) Product insert. http://www.immcodiagnostics.com/Products/WesternBlot/1170.php. Cited 9 Mar 2007
- 18.Immuno Concepts (2006) Package inserts. http://www.immunoconcepts.com/pkginsrt.html. Cited 19 Apr 2006
- 27.Hsu W-T, Chau L-K, Chen P-L, Hsieh W-H (2006) Abstracts of papers, 9th world congress on biosensors, Toronto, Canada. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar