Dissolution of cellulose in ionic liquids as a way to obtain test materials for metal-ion detection
Cellulose films containing entrapped analytical reagents suitable for metal-ion detection are produced by joint dissolution of cellulose and the reagents in ionic liquids then precipitation with water. The conditions of preparation of these test materials have been optimized and their properties have been studied. The film obtained by use of the ionic liquid 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium chloride and 1-(2-pyridylazo)-2-naphthol has been used for colorimetric determination of divalent zinc, manganese, and nickel with detection limits at the 10−6 mol L−1 level.
KeywordsMetals/Heavy metals Preconcentration Thin films Water
We are much indebted to Professor K. Bogolitsin (Arkhangelsk State Technical University) for providing samples of cellulose and lignin and to Professor V. Ivanov (Lomonosov Moscow State University) for providing some of the analytical reagents. We are also grateful to Professor N. Nikonorova (Lomonosov Moscow State University) and to Professor I. Kubrakova (Vernadsky Institute of Geochemistry and Analytical Chemistry, RAS) for providing electronic scanning microscopy and the microwave oven. Thanks are also due to Russian Foundation for Basic Research for the financial support (Grant no. 05-03-32976).
- 1.Zolotov YuA, Ivanov VM, Amelin VG (2002) Chimicheskie test-metody analiza (Test Methods of Chemical Analysis). Editorial, Moscow, p 304Google Scholar
- 2.Pletnev IV, Smirnova SV, Khachatryan KS, Zernov VV (2004) Ross Khim Zh (Rus Chem J) 48(6):51Google Scholar
- 7.Swatloski RP, Rogers RD, Holbrey JD (2003) US Pat Appl 20,030,157,351Google Scholar
- 11.Huddleston JG, Willauer HD, Swatloski RP, Visser AE, Rogers RD (1998) Chem Commun 1765–1766Google Scholar
- 12.Morozko SA, Ivanov VM (1996) Zh Anal Khim (Rus J Anal Chem) 51:631Google Scholar
- 13.Morozko SA, Ivanov VM (1995) Zh Anal Khim (Rus J Anal Chem) 50:629Google Scholar
- 14.Ivanov VM (1982) Geterotsiklicheskie Azotsoderzhashchie Azosoedineniya (Heterocyclic Nitrogen-Containing Azocompounds). Nauka, Moscow, p 229Google Scholar
- 15.Shishkin YuL, Dmitrienko SG, Medvedeva OM, Badakova SA, Pyatkova LN (2004) Zh Anal Khim (Rus J Anal Chem) 59:119Google Scholar