Simultaneous determination of five synthetic antioxidants in edible vegetable oil by GC–MS
- 821 Downloads
A simple, quick and nontoxic analytical method for the simultaneous determination of five synthetic antioxidants [t-butyl-4-hydroxyanisole (BHA), 2,6-di-t-butyl-hydroxytoluene (BHT), t-butyl hydroquinone (TBHQ), ethoxyquin (EQ) and 2,6-di-tert-butyl-4-hydroxymethyl-phenol (Ionox 100)] in edible vegetable oil has been developed. The analytes were extracted by ethanol, then separated and detected by GC–MS. Extraction conditions such as volume of ethanol required, mixing time and number of extractions were investigated and optimized by an orthogonal array experimental design. The five compounds behaved linearly in the 0.100∼20.0 mg/L concentration range, and the limits of detection (LOD) for BHA, BHT, TBHQ, EQ and Ionox-100 were 1.00, 0.92, 11.5, 0.83 and 1.39 μg/L, respectively. The recoveries at the tested concentrations of 1.00, 20.0 and 100 mg/kg were 75.6∼123%, with coefficients of variation <10.0%. The proposed procedure was successfully applied to the simultaneous analysis of the five antioxidants in soybean oil, tea oil, edible blended oil, rap oil, peanut oil, peanut blended oil and sesame oil samples purchased from local supermarkets.
KeywordsSynthetic antioxidants Edible vegetable oil Simultaneous determination GC-MS
The financial support for this study from the Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in University (No: IRT0540), and from the Natural Science Foundation of Jinagxi Province (No.0520057) is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Branen AL (1975) J Am Oil Chem Soc 52:59–63Google Scholar
- 2.Dziezak JD (1986) J Food Technol 40:94–102Google Scholar
- 5.Ling GT (ed) (1989) Handbook of food additives. Chemical Industry Press, Beijing, pp 303–310Google Scholar
- 8.Kimura S, Terada S (1973) J Food Hyg Soc Japan 14:94–99Google Scholar
- 9.Icenhour TP, Van Dolah FM (1991) J Am Oil Chem Soc 68:659–661Google Scholar
- 16.Barrek S, Paisse O, Grenier-Loustalot MF (2003) J Anal Bioanal Chem 376:355–359Google Scholar
- 23.He H, Yu JN, Ni KY (eds) (2004) Modern chromatographic analysis. Chemical Industry Press, Beijing, p 107Google Scholar