TIMS versus multicollector-ICP-MS: coexistence or struggle for survival?
- 590 Downloads
When J.J. Thomson discovered the isotopic nature of neon in 1912 using a self-constructed mass spectrograph  it was difficult to foresee what impact stable isotope analysis would have in the natural sciences over the following decades. By using isotopically enriched compounds, quantitative analysis can be performed at the highest accuracy by following isotope dilution principles. The same principles can be employed to make use of stable isotopes as tracers in complex systems including the human body. Information on the origin and history of a sample can be obtained by studying natural changes in the isotopic composition of an element induced either by radionuclide decay or by isotope-selective transport processes between physical or chemical compartments. In either case, improvements in precision, sensitivity and accuracy in isotopic analysis have in the past opened new doors in basic and applied research.
Among the plethora of mass spectrometric techniques developed in the 20th...
KeywordsInductively Couple Plasma Mass Spectrometry Thermal Ionization Mass Spectrometry Mass Bias Isotope Ratio Measurement Isobaric Interference
- 1.Thomson JJ (1912) Phil Mag 24:668Google Scholar
- 3.Houk RS, Fassel VA, Flesch GD, Svec HJ, Gray AL, Taylor CE (1980) Anal Chem 52:2283Google Scholar
- 4.Giessmann U, Greb U (1994) Fresenius J Anal Chem 350:186–193Google Scholar
- 5.Turner P, Merren T, Speakman J, Haines C (1997) In: Holland G, Tanner SD (eds) Special publication No 202. Royal Society of Chemistry , Cambridge, pp 28–34Google Scholar
- 7.Walder AJ, Platzner I, Freedman PA (1993) J Anal At Spectrom 8:19Google Scholar
- 8.Heumann KG, Gallus SM, Rädlinger G, Vogl J (1998) J Anal At Spectrom 13:1001Google Scholar
- 10.Siebert C, Nägler TF, Kramers JD (2001) Geochem Geophys Geosyst 2:2000GC000124Google Scholar
- 11.Belshaw NS, Zhu XK, Guo Y O'Nions RK (2000) Int J Mass Spectrom 197:2000Google Scholar
- 13.Taylor PDP, deBièvre P, Walder AJ, Entwistle A (1995) J Anal At Spectrom 10:395Google Scholar
- 15.Walczyk T, Hebeda EH, Heumann KG (1991) Fresenius J Anal Chem 341:537Google Scholar
- 16.Reisberg L, Meisel T (2002) Geostandard Newsletter 26:249Google Scholar