Improvement of episodic contextual memory by S 18986 in middle-aged mice: comparison with donepezil
- 91 Downloads
This study compared the effects of S 18986, a positive allosteric modulator of alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid (AMPA)-type glutamate receptors, to those of donepezil a cholinesterase inhibitor on memory impairments induced by ageing in a contextual serial discrimination (CSD) task in middle-aged mice.
Materials and methods
The CSD task involved the learning of two consecutive discriminations in a four-hole board, each performed on two different floors. This model has been developed to study simultaneously different forms of memory in mice (i.e., episodic-like vs semantic-like forms of memory). We showed that placebo-middle-aged mice (14–15 months old) and placebo-aged subjects (19–20 months old) exhibited a severe memory deficit for the first but not the second discrimination, which was due to an increase in interference, as compared with placebo-treated young mice (5 months old). Middle-aged mice were given (9 days) per os administration of either donepezil, S 18986, or placebo.
Results and discussion
Both 0.3 mg/kg donepezil and 0.1 mg/kg S 18986 reversed the deficit of middle-aged mice through a significant increase in contextually correct responses and in parallel a tendency to reduce interfering responses.
Overall, S 18986 emerges as having a beneficial impact on contextual memory processes in middle-aged mice.
KeywordsAgeing Mice Contextual memory Episodic memory Semantic memory S 18986 Donepezil AMPA receptors
- Bontempi B, Whelan KT, Risbrough VB, Lloyd GK, Menzaghi F (2003) Cognitive enhancing properties and tolerability of cholinergic agents in mice: a comparative study of nicotine, Donepezil and SIB-1553A, a subtype-selective ligand for nicotinic acethylcholine receptors. Neuropsychopharmacology 28:1235–1246PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chauveau F, Pierard C, Drouet I, Beracochea D (2005) First evidence of the involvement of hippocampal corticosterone membranar receptors on the effects of an acute stress on memory retrieval in mice. Abstract of the French Neurosciences Society (G16), Lille, FranceGoogle Scholar
- Eichenbaum H (2000) A cortical-hippocampal system for declarative memory. Nat Rev Neurosci 2:844–847Google Scholar
- Francis PT (2005) The interplay of neurotransmitters in Alzheimer’s disease. CNS Spectr 11(Suppl 18):6–9Google Scholar
- Lepagnol J, Lebrun C, Pilliere E, Thomas JY, Desos P, Cordi A, Lestage P (1997) Neuroexcitatory and cognition enhancing effect of S 18986, a positive allosteric modulator of glutamate AMPA receptor. 27th Annual Meeting of the Neuroscience Society, New Orleans, October 1997. Am Soc Neurosci 23(2):1841Google Scholar
- Lockhart B, Iop F, Closier M, Lestage P (2000) (S)-2,3-dihydro-(3,4) cyclopentano-1,2,4-benzothiadiazine-1,1-dioxide: (S18986-1) a positive modulator of AMPA receptors enhances (S)-AMPA-mediated (3H) noradrenaline release from rat hippocampal and frontal cortex slices. Eur J Pharmacol 401:145–153PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar