Aripiprazole in treatment of borderline patients, part II: an 18-month follow-up
Only one controlled trial is known that employed aripiprazole for patients with borderline personality disorder (BPD). This 8-week trial found significant changes on most scales of the symptom checklist (SCL-90-R), Hamilton depression rating scale (HDRS), Hamilton anxiety rating scale (HARS), and on all scales of the state–trait anger expression inventory (STAXI).
Objectives, materials, and methods
To assess the long-term effectiveness of aripiprazole with multifaceted borderline symptomology, this 18-month follow-up observation with biannual testing was carried out with the same patients from the previous trial (treated with 15-mg aripiprazole daily, n = 26, 21 female and 5 male patients; previous placebo group, n = 26, 22 female and 4 male patients).
According to the intent-to-treat principle, significant changes on all scales of the SCL-90-R, HDRS, HARS, and STAXI were observed in the aripiprazole-treated subjects after 18 months.
Aripiprazole appears to be an effective and relatively safe agent in the long-term treatment of patients with BPD.
KeywordsBorderline personality disorder Aripiprazole Hamilton depression rating scale
We are grateful to Ann Marie Ackermann, JD, for translating and editing this article. The study was not funded.
- Franke GH (2002) SCL-90-R: Symptom-Checkliste von L.R. Derogatis. Goettingen, BeltzGoogle Scholar
- Hamilton M (1976) Development of a rating scale; for primary depressive illness. Br J Soc Clin Psychol 6:278–296Google Scholar
- Kasper S, Lerman MN, McQuade RD, Saha A, Carson WH, Ali M, Archibald D, Ingenito G, Marcus R, Pigott T (2003) Efficacy and safety of aripiprazole vs. haloperidol for long-term maintenance treatment following acute relapse of schizophrenia. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 6:325–337PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nickel M, Muehlbacher M, Nickel C, Kettler C, Pedrosa Gil F, Bachler E, Buschmann W, Rother N, Fartacek R, C Egger, Anvar J, Rother W, Loew T, Kaplan P (2006) Aripiprazole in treatment of borderline patients: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Am J Psychiatry 163:833–838PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Potkin SG, Saha AR, Kujawa MJ, Carson WH, Ali M, Stock E. Stringfellow J, Ingenito G, Marder SR (2003) Aripiprazole, an antipsychotic with a novel mechanism of action, and risperidone vs placebo in patients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:681–690PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schwenkmezger, P, Hodapp, V, Spielberger, CD (1992) The State-Trait Anger Expression Inventory. Goettingen, BernGoogle Scholar
- Stevens J (1992) Applied multivariate statistics for the social sciences. Erlbaum, New JerseyGoogle Scholar