Interaction between Nm23 and the tumor suppressor VHL
- 292 Downloads
Among the anti-tumor genes (tumor suppressors and metastasis suppressors), the von-Hippel Lindau gene and the Nm23 family of genes are among the more intriguing ones. Both are small (long and short forms of VHL are 30 and 19 kD, respectively, and Nm23 is ~17 kD), and both possess diverse molecular and cellular functions. Despite extensive studies, the entire spectra of functions and the molecular function-phenotype correlation of these two proteins have not been completely elucidated. In this report, we present data showing these two proteins interact physically. We also summarize and confirm the previous studies that demonstrated the endocytic function of these two genes and further show that the endocytic function of VHL is mediated through the activity of Nm23. These functional and molecular interactions are evolutionarily conserved from Drosophila to human.
Keywordsvon Hippel-Lindau Nm23 Endocytosis Tumor suppressor gene
This work was supported by a grant from the National Institutes of Health, USA, # RO1CA109860, to T.H.
- Angevin E, Lopez-Martin JA, Lin CC, Gschwend JE, Harzstark A, Castellano D, Soria JC, Sen P, Chang J, Shi M, Kay A, Escudier B (2013) Phase I study of dovitinib (TKI258), an oral FGFR, VEGFR, and PDGFR inhibitor, in advanced or metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 19:1257–1268PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Banks RE, Tirukonda P, Taylor C, Hornigold N, Astuti D, Cohen D, Maher ER, Stanley AJ, Harnden P, Joyce A, Knowles M, Selby PJ (2006) Genetic and epigenetic analysis of von Hippel-Lindau (VHL) gene alterations and relationship with clinical variables in sporadic renal cancer. Cancer Res 66:2000–2011PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Boissan M, De Wever O, Lizarraga F, Wendum D, Poincloux R, Chignard N, Desbois-Mouthon C, Dufour S, Nawrocki-Raby B, Birembaut P, Bracke M, Chavrier P, Gespach C, Lacombe ML (2010) Implication of metastasis suppressor NM23-H1 in maintaining adherens junctions and limiting the invasive potential of human cancer cells. Cancer Res 70:7710–7722PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chitalia VC, Foy RL, Bachschmid MM, Zeng L, Panchenko MV, Zhou MI, Bharti A, Seldin DC, Lecker SH, Dominguez I, Cohen HT (2008) Jade-1 inhibits Wnt signalling by ubiquitylating beta-catenin and mediates Wnt pathway inhibition by pVHL. Nat Cell Biol 10:1208–1216PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Escudier B, Grunwald V, Ravaud A, Ou YC, Castellano D., Lin CC, Gschwend JE, Harzstark A, Beall S, Pirotta N, Squires M, Shi MM, Angevin E (2014) Phase II Results of Dovitinib (TKI258) in Patients With Metastatic Renal Cell Cancer. Clin Cancer Res 20:2012–2022Google Scholar
- Ohba K, Miyata Y, Koga S, Kanda S, Kanetake H (2005) Expression of nm23-H1 gene product in sarcomatous cancer cells of renal cell carcinoma: correlation with tumor stage and expression of matrix metalloproteinase-2, matrix metalloproteinase-9, sialyl Lewis X, and c-erbB-2. Urology 65:1029–1034PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar