Global Strong Solutions of the Vlasov–Poisson–Boltzmann System in Bounded Domains
- 39 Downloads
When dilute charged particles are confined in a bounded domain, boundary effects are crucial in the global dynamics. We construct a unique global-in-time solution to the Vlasov–Poisson–Boltzmann system in convex domains with the diffuse boundary condition. The construction is based on an L2-L∞ framework with a novel nonlinear-normed energy estimate of a distribution function in some weighted W1,p-spaces and C2,δ-estimates of the self-consistent electric potential. Moreover we prove an exponential convergence of the distribution function toward the global Maxwellian.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors thank Hongxu Chen for finding errors in the original manuscript and fixing them. They also thank the referee(s) for useful comments which helped us to improve the clarity of presentation. The authors thank Yan Guo for his interest and discussions. They also thank Clément Mouhot, Lello Esposito, Rossana Marra, Misha Feldman, Hyung Ju Hwang, and Stéphane Mischler for their interest in this project. C.K. especially thanks James Callen (Center for Plasma Theory and Computation) for discussions on the several relevant kinetic models. The authors also thank the kind hospitality ofMFO at Oberwolfach, ICERM, KAIST-CMC,math/applied math departments of Brown, Cambridge, Princeton, USC (during a summer school organized by Juhi Jang), UMN, UIC, UT-Austin, POSTECH, NTU, Lyon 1, and Paris-Dauphine during this research.
- 1.Arsenio, D., Saint-Raymond, L.: From the Vlasov–Maxwell–Boltzmann system to incompressible viscous electro-magneto-hydrodynamics. arXiv:1604.01547
- 2.Cao, Y.: Regularity of Boltzmann equation with external fields in convex domains of diffuse reflection. submitted, arXiv:1812.09388
- 3.Cao, Y.: A note on two species collisional plasma in bounded domains, arXiv:1903.04935
- 4.Cercignani, C., Illner, R., Pulvirenti, M.: The mathematical theory of dilute gases. Applied Mathematical Sciences, 106. Springer, New York, 1994Google Scholar
- 5.Chen, H., Kim, C., Li, Q.: Local Well-Posedness of Vlasov–Possion–Boltzmann System with Generalized Diffuse Boundary Condition, preprintGoogle Scholar
- 9.Esposito, R., Guo, Y., Kim, C., Marra, R.: Stationary solutions to the Boltzmann equation in the Hydrodynamic limit. Ann. PDE 4(1), Art. 1, pp. 119, 2018Google Scholar
- 12.Glassey, R., Strauss, W.: Decay of the linearized Boltzmann–Vlasov system. Transp. Theor. Stat. 28(2), 35–156 (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Gualdani, M.P., Mischler, S., Mouhot, C.: Factorization for non-symmetric operators and exponential H-theorem. Mem. Soc. Math. Fr. (N.S.) No. 153, pp. 137, 2017Google Scholar
- 15.Guo, Y.: The Vlasov-Maxwell-Boltzmann system near Maxwellians. Invent. Math. 153(3), 593–630 (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Guo, Y., Kim, C., Tonon, D., Trescases, A.: Regularity of the Boltzmann equation in convex domains. Invent. Math. 207(1), 115–290 (January 2017)Google Scholar
- 28.Kim, C., Lee, D.: Hölder Regularity Propagation for the Boltzmann equation Past an Obstacle, in preparationGoogle Scholar
- 31.Maxwell, J.C.: On the dynamical theory of gases. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. 157, 49–88 (1866)Google Scholar