Long-time Stability in Systems of Conservation Laws, Using Relative Entropy/Energy
- 272 Downloads
We study the long-time stability of shock-free solutions of hyperbolic systems of conservation laws, under an arbitrarily large initial disturbance in L 2∩ L ∞. We use the relative entropy method, a robust tool which allows us to consider rough and large disturbances. We display practical examples in several space dimensions, for scalar equations as well as isentropic gas dynamics. For full gas dynamics, we use a trick from Chen , in which the estimate is made in terms of the relative mechanical energy instead of the relative mathematical entropy.
KeywordsEntropy Relative Entropy Rarefaction Wave Entropy Solution Euler System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chen, G.-Q., Chen, J.: Stability of rarefaction waves and vacuum states for the multidimensional Euler equations. J. Hyperbolic Differential Equations, 4(1), 105–122 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, G.-Q., Frid, H.: Uniqueness and asymptotic stability of Riemann solutions for the compressible Euler equations. Trans. Am. Math. Soc., 353, 1103–1117 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Chen, G.-Q., Li, Y.: Stability of Riemann solutions with large oscillation for the relativistic Euler equations. J. Differ. Eq., 202(2), 332–353 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Dafermos, C.M.: The second law of thermodynamics and stability. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal., 70(2), 167–179 (1979)Google Scholar
- 6.Dafermos, C.M.: Entropy and the stability of classical solutions of hyperbolic systems of conservation laws. In Recent mathematical methods in nonlinear wave propagation (Montecatini Terme, 1994), volume 1640 of Lecture Notes in Math., pages 48–69. Springer, Berlin (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Dafermos, C.M.: Hyperbolic conservation laws in continuum physics, vol. 325. Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften. Springer, Berlin (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Hoff, D.: The sharp form of Oleĭnik’s entropy condition in several space variables. Trans. Am. Math. Soc., 276, 707–714 (1983)Google Scholar