Global Surfaces of Section in the Planar Restricted 3-Body Problem
- 260 Downloads
The restricted planar three-body problem has a rich history, yet many unanswered questions still remain. In the present paper we prove the existence of a global surface of section near the smaller body in a new range of energies and mass ratios for which the Hill’s region still has three connected components. The approach relies on recent global methods in symplectic geometry and contrasts sharply with the perturbative methods used until now.
KeywordsPeriodic Orbit Periodic Point Homoclinic Orbit Global Surface Symplectic Geometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bramham, B., Hofer, H.: First Steps Towards a Symplectic Dynamics. arXiv:1102.3723 (2011)Google Scholar
- Bramham, B.: A dynamical application of finite energy foliations to area preserving disc maps. Preprint, 2011Google Scholar
- Bramham, B.: Finite energy foliations with pre-selected orbits I. In preparation, 2011Google Scholar
- Bramham, B.: Finite energy foliations with pre-selected orbits II. In preparation, 2011Google Scholar
- Conley, C.C.: Twist mappings, linking, analyticity, and periodic solutions which pass close to an unstable periodic solution. Topological Dynamics (Sympos., Colorado State Univ., Ft. Collins, Colo., 1967), Benjamin, New York, 129–153, 1968Google Scholar
- Göing-Jaeschke, A.: Parameter estimation and Bessel processes in financial models and numerical analysis in Hamiltonian dynamics. Ph.D.-thesis, Swiss Federal Inst. of Techn. Zurich, Diss. ETH No. 12566, 1998Google Scholar
- Hryniewicz, U., Salomão, P.: On the existence of disk-like global sections for Reeb flows on the tight 3-sphere. arXiv:1006.0049, 2010Google Scholar
- Hofer, H., Zehnder, E.: Symplectic Invariants and Hamiltonian Dynamics. Birkhäuser Advanced Texts: Basler Lehrbücher. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel, 1994Google Scholar
- McGehee, R.P.: Some homoclinic orbits for the restricted three-body problem. Ph.D. thesis, The University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1969Google Scholar