Classical Solutions to the Boltzmann Equation for Molecules with an Angular Cutoff
- 272 Downloads
An important class of collision kernels in the Boltzmann theory are governed by the inverse power law, in which the intermolecular potential between two particles is an inverse power of their distance. Under the Grad angular cutoff assumption, global-in-time classical solutions near Maxwellians are constructed in a periodic box for all soft potentials with −3<γ<0.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Caflisch, R., The Boltzmann equation with a soft potential (I). Comm. Math. Phys. 74, 71–109 (1980)Google Scholar
- 5.Cercignani, C.: The Boltzmann Equation and Its Application. Springer-Verlag, 1988Google Scholar
- 6.Cercignani, C., Illner, R., Pulvirenti, M.: The Mathematical Theory of Dilute Gases. Springer-Verlag, 1994Google Scholar
- 8.Glassey, R.: The Cauchy Problems in Kinetic Theory, SIAM, 1996Google Scholar
- 13.Guo, Y.: The Vlasov-Maxwell-Boltzmann system near Maxwellians. Invent. Math., in press (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Ukai, S., Asano, K.: On the Cauchy problem of the Boltzmann equation with a soft potential. Publ. Res. Inst. Math. Sci. 18, 303–324 (1982)Google Scholar