An indistinguishability result on rationalizability under general preferences
In this paper, we show that, in the class of games where each player’s strategy space is compact Hausdorff and each player’s payoff function is continuous and “concave-like,” rationalizability in a variety of general preference models yields the unique set of outcomes of iterated strict dominance. The result implies that rationalizable strategic behavior in these preference models is observationally indistinguishable from that in the subjective expected utility model, in this class of games. Our indistinguishability result can be applied not only to mixed extensions of finite games, but also to other important applications in economics, for example, the Cournot–oligopoly model.
KeywordsRationalizability Iterated dominance General preferences
JEL ClassificationC70 D82
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bergemann D., Morris S.: Strategic Distinguishability with an Application to Robust Virtual Implementation. Yale University, Mimeo (2007)Google Scholar
- Bergemann D., Morris S.: Robust virtual implementation. Theor Econ 4, 45–88 (2009)Google Scholar
- Bergemann D., Morris S., Takahashi S.: Interdependent Preferences and Strategic Distinguishability. Princeton University, Mimeo (2010)Google Scholar
- Daniëls T.: Pure strategy dominance with quasiconcave utility functions. Econ Bull 3, 1–8 (2008)Google Scholar
- Ely J.C.: Rationalizability and approximate common-knowledge. Northwestern University, Mimeo (2005)Google Scholar
- Klibanoff K.: Uncertainty, Decision, and Normal-Form Games. Northwestern University, Mimeo (1996)Google Scholar
- Osborne M.J., Rubinstein A.: A Course in Game Theory. The MIT Press, MA (1994)Google Scholar
- Savage L.: The Foundations of Statistics. Wiley, NY (1954)Google Scholar
- Sion M.: On general minimax theorems. Pacific J Math 8, 171–176 (1958)Google Scholar
- Weinstein, J., Yildiz, M.: Sensitivity of equilibrium behavior to higher-order beliefs in nice games. Games Econ Behav (2008). doi: 10.1016/j.geb.2010.07.003