Inadequate management for secondary fracture prevention in patients with distal radius fracture by trauma surgeons
- 439 Downloads
We evaluated the secondary fracture prevention in 1445 patients with distal radius fracture by trauma surgeons. The rate of patients with distal radius fracture who underwent bone mineral density (BMD) examination was low, suggesting that appropriate treatment for osteoporosis by trauma surgeons is not performed at present.
To clarify the status of osteoporosis interventions after distal radial fractures by trauma surgeons who play the main role in treatment for these fractures, we performed a survey involving multiple institutions in Japan.
We asked 155 board members of the Japanese Society for Fracture Repair for their cooperation and performed a survey in 48 institutions with which members who gave cooperation were affiliated. The subjects consisted of consecutive patients with distal radial fractures occurring between January and December 2012. The presence or absence of a diagnosis of osteoporosis and bone mineral density examination after fracture was investigated.
A total of 1445 patients with distal radial fractures were evaluated in this study. BMD examination for diagnosis and treatment for osteoporosis after fracture was performed respectively in 126 (8.7 %) and 193 (13.4 %) of 1445 patients. Treatment for osteoporosis was performed in 93 (73.8 %) of 126 patients who underwent BMD examination after fracture and 100 (8.2 %) of 1219 who did not undergo BMD examination. Of the 126 patients who underwent BMD examination after fracture, 89 showed a BMD <80 % of the young adult mean as a criterion for the initiation of drug treatment for osteoporosis in Japan and 77 (86.5 %) of the 89 patients were treated with drugs.
The rate of patients with distal radial fractures who underwent BMD examination was low, suggesting that appropriate treatment for osteoporosis by trauma surgeons is not performed at present.
KeywordsDistal radius fracture Osteoporosis Secondary fracture prevention Trauma surgeons
The authors sincerely acknowledge the 155 board members of the Japanese Society for Fracture Repair for their cooperation.
Conflicts of interest
- 6.Lentle B, Cheung AM, Hanley DA, Leslie WD, Lyons D, Papaioannou A, Atkinson S, Brown JP, Feldman S, Hodsman AB, Jamal AS, Josse RG, Kaiser SM, Kvern B, Morin S, Siminoski K, Scientific Advisory Council of Osteoporosis Canada (2011) Osteoporosis Canada 2010 guidelines for the assessment of fracture risk. Can Assoc Radiol J 62:243–250PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Majumdar SR, Rowe BH, Folk D, Johnson JA, Holroyd BH, Morrish DW, Maksymowych WP, Steiner IP, Harley CH, Wirzba BJ, Hanley DA, Blitz S, Russell AS (2004) A controlled trial to increase detection and treatment of osteoporosis in older patients with a wrist fracture. Am Coll Physicians 141:366–374Google Scholar
- 13.Freedman KB, Kaplan FS, Bilker WB, Strom BL, Lowe RT (2000) Treatment of osteoporosis: are physicians missing an opportunity? J Bone Joint Sur Am 82:1063–1070Google Scholar
- 17.Japanese Orthopaedic Association (2012) Clinical practice guideline on the diagnosis, treatment of distal radius fracture. Nankodo, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 18.Soen S, Fukunaga M, Sugimoto T, Sone T, Fujiwara S, Endo N, Gorai I, Shiraki M, Hagino H, Hosoi T, Ohta H, Yoneda T, Tomomitsu T, Japanese Society for Bone and Mineral Research and Japan Osteoporosis Society Joint Review Committee for the Revision of the Diagnostic Criteria for Primary Osteoporosis (2013) Diagnostic criteria for primary osteoporosis: year 2012 revision. J Bone Miner Metab 31:247–257PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Krailo MD, Pike MC (1983) Estimation of the distribution of age at natural menopause from prevalence data. J Am J Epidemiol 117:356–1361Google Scholar
- 28.Orimo H, Hayashi Y, Fukunaga M, Sone T, Fujiwara S, Shiraki M, Kushida K, Miyamoto S, Soen S, Nishimura J, Oh-Hashi Y, Hosoi T, Gorai I, Tanaka H, Igai T, Kishimoto H, Osteoporosis Diagnostic Criteria Review Committee: Japanese Society for Bone and Mineral Research (2001) Diagnostic criteria for primary osteoporosis: year 2000 revision. J Bone Miner Metab 19:331–337PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.No authors listed (1991) Consensus development conference: prophylaxis and treatment of osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 1: 114–117Google Scholar
- 32.Karantana A, Downing ND, Forward DP, Hatton M, Taylor AM, Scammell BE, Moran CG, Davis TR (2013) Surgical treatment of distal radial fractures with a volar locking plate versus conventional percutaneous methods: a randomized controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am 95:1737–1744PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar