Comparative trends in hospitalizations for osteoporotic fractures and other frequent diseases between 2000 and 2008
In Switzerland, the number, incidence, and cost of acute hospitalizations for major osteoporotic fractures (MOF) and major cardiovascular events (MCE) increased in both women and men between 2000 and 2008, although the mean length of stay (LOS) was significantly reduced. Similar trend patterns were observed for hip fractures and strokes (decrease) and nonhip fractures and acute myocardial infarctions (increase).
The purpose of this study was to compare the trends and epidemiological characteristics of hospitalizations for MOF and other frequent diseases between years 2000 and 2008 in Switzerland.
Trends in the number, age-standardized incidence, mean LOS, and cost of hospitalized MOF and MCE (acute myocardial infarction, stroke, and heart failure) were compared in women and men aged ≥45 years, based on data from the Swiss Federal Statistical Office.
Between 2000 and 2008, the incidence of acute hospitalizations for MOF increased by 3.4% in women and 0.3% in men. In both sexes, a significant decrease in hip fractures (−15.0% and −11.0%) was compensated by a concomitant, significant increase in nonhip fractures (+24.8% and +13.8%). Similarly, the incidence of acute hospitalizations for MCE increased by 4.4% in women and 8.2% in men, as an aggregated result from significantly increasing acute myocardial infarctions and significantly decreasing strokes. While the mean LOS in the acute inpatient setting decreased almost linearly between years 2000 and 2008 in all indications, the inpatient costs increased significantly (p < 0.001) for MOF (+30.1% and +42.7%) and MCE (+22.6% and +47.1%) in women and men, respectively.
Between years 2000 and 2008, the burden of hospitalized osteoporotic fractures to the Swiss healthcare system has continued to increase in both sexes. In women, this burden was significantly higher than that of MCE and the gap widened over time.
KeywordsAcute myocardial infarction Breast cancer Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Clinical spine fracture Cost Distal radius fracture Epidemiology Heart failure Hip fracture Osteoporosis Proximal humerus fracture Stroke Switzerland
This work was supported by an unrestricted research grant from MSD Switzerland AG. The sponsor had no influence on the design, analysis, or interpretation of the data. We are grateful to Dr. Philippe Kress, Kressmed, Glattbrugg, Switzerland for his contribution to data analysis and his critical review of the manuscript.
Conflicts of interest
- 5.Lippuner K, Popp AW, Schwab P, Gitlin M, Schaufler T, Senn C, Perrelet R (2010) Fracture hospitalizations between years 2000 and 2007 in Switzerland: a trend analysis. Osteoporos Int (in press)Google Scholar
- 6.World Health Organization (2007) International statistical classification of diseases and related health problems, 10th revision. Online version 2007. Available at http://apps.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/icd10online/. Accessed 12 January 2011
- 7.Swiss Federal Statistical Office (2009) Plausibility of medical statistics: the MedPlaus 5.0 concept. Available at http://www.freudiger.com/download/mp5_konzept_D_20091029.pdf. Accessed October 2010
- 8.Swiss Federal Statistical Office (2004) Data quality evaluation of medical statistics in 1998–2001. Available at http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/de/index/themen/14/22/publ.html?publicationID=1306. Accessed October 2010
- 9.Lewinnek GE, Kelsey J, White AA 3rd, Kreiger NJ (1980) The significance and a comparative analysis of the epidemiology of hip fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res (152):35–43Google Scholar
- 10.Swiss Federal Statistical Office (2010) Hospital statistics between year 2000 and year 2008. Available at http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/de/index/themen/14/03/01/data/01.html and http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/de/index/themen/14/03/01/key/01.html. Accessed 12 January 2011
- 29.Swiss Health Observatory OBSAN (2004) 5-year comparison of the inpatient and outpatient costs between 1999 and 2003. Available at http://www.obsan.admin.ch/bfs/obsan/de/index/05/01.Document.105404.pdf. Accessed 16 June 2010
- 39.Bundesamt für Statistik. Szenarien zur Bevölkerungsentwicklung der Schweiz 2005–2050. Available at http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/de/index/news/publikationen.Document.83713.pdf. Accessed 14 May 2008