Elongated styloid process and atheroma in panoramic radiography and its relationship with systemic osteoporosis and osteopenia
- 228 Downloads
Association between the presence of an elongated styloid process, vascular calcification (atheroma) and the potential risk factor for osteoporosis was studied. Presence of an elongated styloid process was found to be correlated with systemic osteoporosis and also between elongated styloid process and atheroma.
The association between the presences of an elongated styloid process and vascular calcification (atheroma) with the potential risk factor assessment for osteoporosis was studied.
Bone mineral density obtained by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry diagnosed osteopenia/osteoporosis on at least two of three sites (column, hips, and forearm) of 50 female patients. Panoramic maxillomandibular radiographs were taken and analyzed. Elongation of the styloid processes was measured and the presence of atheromas in the carotid was investigated.
Eighty percent of the patients presented at least one side with elongated styloid process and the highest prevalence (87.5%) occurred in individuals between 60 and 69 years. Atheroma was found in four patients, three of which presented elongated styloid on at least one side and had diagnosed osteoporosis on at least two of the evaluated sites.
Correlation was found between the elongation of the styloid process and systemic osteoporosis, and between elongated styloid process and atheroma. The method in this study might be used as part of a method for osteopenia/osteoporosis and atheroma risk assessment.
KeywordsAtheroma Osteoporosis Panoramic radiography Styloid process
- 6.Watanabe PAC, Campos M, Pardini LC (1998) Síndrome do proceso estilóide alongado (Síndrome de Eagle). Revista da APCD 52:487–490Google Scholar
- 7.Health OW (2004) Scientific group on the assessment of osteoporosis at primary health care level. World Health Organization, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- 13.Siegel S (1977) Estatística não-paramétrica para as ciências do comportamento. Mc Graw-Hill do Brasil, São PauloGoogle Scholar
- 16.Albuquerque DF, Menezes AV, Carlos MX et al (2005) Detecção de calcificações na artéria carótida em radiografias panorâmicas: revisão da morfologia e patologia. Clin Pesq Odontol 2:129–136Google Scholar
- 17.Souza AE, Ciccone JC, Watanabe PCA et al (2004) Contribuição da radiografia panorâmica na detecção de ateromas em artéria carótida. RGO—Revista Gaúcha de Odontologia 52:83–85Google Scholar