Long-term results of vaginal repairs with and without xenograft reinforcement
- First Online:
- 86 Downloads
Introduction and hypothesis
The aim of this paper is to study if xenograft reinforcement of vaginal repair reduces recurrence of prolapse.
Results 1–5 years after vaginal repair were studied in 41 cases with xenograft and in 82 matched controls without. Symptoms were evaluated by a validated questionnaire and anatomy by pelvic organ prolapse quantification (POPQ).
Significant more cases, 97% versus 81% controls, felt cured or much improved (p = 0.02); 11% of cases and 19% of controls had POP symptoms, POPQ > −1 was found in 31% cases and 24% controls. Defining recurrence as POPQ > −1 plus symptoms revealed recurrence in 3% of cases and 12% controls. None of the recurrence rates was significantly different for cases versus controls. No vaginal erosions were seen. Previous surgery was a significant risk factor with odds ratio 7.3 for another recurrence.
Recurrence rates defined by POPQ plus symptoms were low compared to literature. Xenograft reinforcement might improve results.
KeywordsVaginal repair Xenograft Surgisis Pelvic organ prolapse Recurrent prolapse Definition of prolapse
- 2.Fornell E (2003) Prevalence of urinary and fecal incontinence in women. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 82:280–285Google Scholar
- 7.Weber AM (2001) The standardization of terminology for researchers in female pelvic floor disorders. Obstet Gynecol 12:178–186Google Scholar
- 8.Maher C, Baessler K, Glazerner CMA, Adams EJ, Hagen S (2004) Surgical management of pelvic organ prolapse in women. Cochrane database of systematic reviews Issue 4. Art.No.:CD004041. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD004014.pub2
- 11.Milani R, Salvatore S, Soligo M, Pifarotti P, Meschia M, Cortese M (2005) Functional and anatomical outcome of anterior and posterior vaginal prolapse repair with prolene mesh. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 112:107–111Google Scholar
- 24.Kapoor DS, Freeman RM (2009) Reoperation rate following prolapse surgery. Am I Obstet Gynecol 200(2):e15Google Scholar
- 27.Norton P, Boyd C, Deak S (1992) Abnormal collagen ratios in women with genitourinary prolapse. Neurourol Urodyn 11:2–4Google Scholar