Integrating inventory control and a price change in the presence of reference price effects: a two-period model
- 491 Downloads
Demand and procurement planning for consumer electronics products must cope with short life cycles, limited replenishment opportunities and a willingness to pay that is influenced by past prices and decreases over time. We therefore propose the use of an integrated pricing and inventory control model with a two-period linear demand model, in which demand also depends on the difference between a price-history-based reference price and the current price. For this model we prove that the optimal joint pricing/inventory policy for the replenishment opportunity after the first period is a base-stock list-price policy. That is, stock is either replenished up to a base-stock level and a list-price is charged, or it is not replenished and a discount is given that increases with the stock-level. Furthermore, we use real-world cell phone data to study the differences between an integrated policy and traditional sequential optimization, where prices are initially optimized based on the expected demand and ordering cost, and the resulting demand distribution is used to determine an optimal inventory policy. Finally, we discuss possible extensions of the model.
KeywordsDynamic programming Inventory control Dynamic pricing Reference price
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arslan H, Kachani S (2004) Dynamic pricing under consumer reference-price effects. Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science, Published Online 14 Jan 2011Google Scholar
- Eliashberg J, Steinberg R (1993) Marketing-production joint decision-making. In: Eliashberg J, Lilien GL (eds) Handbooks in operations research and management science—marketing, handbooks in operations research and management science, vol 5, chap 18. North Holland, Amsterdam, pp 827–880Google Scholar
- Gimpl-Heersink L (2008) Joint pricing and inventory control under reference price effects. PhD thesis, WU WienGoogle Scholar
- Gimpl-Heersink L, Rudloff C, Fleischmann M, Taudes A (2007) Integrated pricing and inventory control with reference price effects. http://idscm.wu-wien.ac.at/own_pubs/InventoryPriceReferencePriceModel.pdf
- Gimpl-Heersink L, Rudloff C, Fleischmann M, Taudes A (2008) Integrating pricing and inventory control: is it worth the effort. BuR Bus Res 1(1): 106–123Google Scholar
- Neweklowsky M, Pein W, Moser P (2005) Siemens and t-mobile supply chain demand forecasting with the bass model. Master’s thesis, WU WienGoogle Scholar
- Topkis DM (1998) Supermodularity and complementarity, 10 edn. Princeton University Books, PrincetonGoogle Scholar
- Urban TL (2008) Coordinating pricing and inventory decisions under reference price effects. Int J Manuf Technol Manage 13(1): 78–94Google Scholar