A novel analytical filling time chart for design optimization of flip-chip underfill encapsulation process
- 29 Downloads
Underfill encapsulation process regularly encounters productivity issue of long filling time that incurs additional manufacturing costs. The package was optimized to attain least filling time while retaining the miniature package size. This paper presents a new analytical generalized filling time chart that was generated using the latest regional segregation-based analytical filling time model. The governing model was well-validated to the industrial underfill benchmark data with discrepancy of less than 10.42%. The filling time chart gives non-dimensionalized filling times at various combinations of bump pitch, gap height, and contact angle. Subsequently, another chart that gives the filling time coefficient was derived from the filling time chart to compute the instantaneous filling time directly. Interestingly, two variation trends of bump pitch were observed from the filling time chart that were distinguishable based on the critical contact angle. When the contact angle exceeds its critical value, there exists the critical bump pitch that restricted the miniature design of the package. On contrary, all past literatures only elucidated one variation trend of bump pitch without introduced the critical contact angle. Overall, the analytical filling time chart benefited the optimization study as it concisely composed all parametric variation trends of filling time as well as the criticality of underfill parameters. Thus, time and effort can be greatly reduced upon compared with the conventional numerical-based optimization work, without compromising the accuracy aspect.
KeywordsElectronic packaging Filling time Flip-chip Optimization Underfill encapsulation
The authors would like to gratefully acknowledge the financial support provided by Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), through the USM Fellowship 2017 Award. Additionally, this work is also partly supported by the Research University (RU) Grant (Grant no. 8014071), provided by Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM).
- 7.Han S, Wang KK (1997) Analysis of the flow of encapsulant during underfill encapsulation of flip-chips. IEEE Trans Compon Packag Manuf Technol B 20(4):424–433Google Scholar
- 12.Yao XJ, Wang ZD, Zhang WJ (2014) A new analysis of the capillary driving pressure for underfill flow in flip-chip packaging. IEEE Trans Compon Packag Manuf Technol 4(9):1534–1544Google Scholar
- 13.Yao XJ, Wang ZD, Zhang WJ (2014) A new model for permeability of porous medium in the case of flip-chip packaging. IEEE Trans Compon Packag Manuf Technol 4(8):1265–1275Google Scholar
- 14.Ng FC, Abas A, Abdullah MZ (2019) “Regional segregation with spatial considerations based analytical filling time model for non-Newtonian power-law underfill fluid in flip-chip encapsulation”, J Electron Packag. 141(4): 041009Google Scholar
- 15.Wang J (2005) Flow time measurements for underfills in flip-chip packaging. IEEE Trans Compon Packag Manuf Technol 28(2):366–370Google Scholar
- 17.Ishak MHH, Ismail F, Abdul Aziz MS, Abdullah MZ, Abas A (2019) Optimization of 3D IC stacking chip on molded encapsulation process: a response surface methodology approach, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, pp. 1–15Google Scholar
- 23.Ng FC, Abas MA, Abdullah MZ (2019) Filling efficiency of flip-chip underfill encapsulation process. Solder Surf Mt Tech. https://doi.org/10.1108/SSMT-07-2019-0026