A double circular arc fitting algorithm for CNC machining of non-uniform scroll components
- 125 Downloads
Scroll compressors have been widely used in refrigeration and air conditioners. The manufacturing of scroll components with complex shape and of high precision constitutes a very important task in guaranteeing the performance of a scroll compressor. Uniform scrolls with constant wrap thickness may be availably machined by generating method. However, for the machining of non-uniform scrolls with variable wrap thickness, the generating method is no longer applicable. The current practice in the machining of non-uniform scrolls is to apply a numerical method using CAD/CAM software in a CNC milling machine. This process is data-intensive and the machining quality is not reliable as the tool path generated does not have G1 continuity. In this paper, the authors present a double circular arc (DCA) fitting algorithm for high-precision manufacturing of non-uniform scroll components. The proposed algorithm is validated by cutting experiments on a CNC milling machine, which incorporates the DCA fitting algorithm–based finishing machining and NC tool path code generation. Test results have shown that the application of DCA fitting algorithm to non-uniform scroll machining is effective, not only in decreasing the number of generated tool path points, but also with satisfied machining precision.
KeywordsScroll compressor Non-uniform scroll profile Double circular arc Finish machining Precision
This study is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 51665035) and the fundamental research funds for the universities in Gansu Province (Grant No. 1302ZTC034).
- 9.Wang BL, Han LJ, Shi WX, Li XT (2012) Modulation method of scroll compressor based on suction gas bypass. Appl Therm Eng 37:183–189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2011.11.014 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kim D, Jeon Y, Jang D (2018) Performance comparison among two-phase liquid and vapor injection heat pumps with a scroll compressor using R410A. Appl Therm Eng 137:193–202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.03.086 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Liu Y, Tang Y, Chang Y, Yang Y (2012) Optimum design of scroll profiles created from involute of circle with variable radii by using finite element analysis. Mech Mach Theory 55:1–17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2012.04.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Yang J, Wu A, Liu Y (2018) Kinematics model and trajectory interpolation algorithm for CNC turning of non-circular profiles. Precis Eng. 54:212–221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.precisioneng.2018.05.014 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Lee JN, Li CN (2010) The CAM system for scroll profile with three CNC interpolations. Adv Mater Res 83–86:696–703. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.83-86.696 CrossRefGoogle Scholar