Development of a symmetrical four-roller bending process
- 20 Downloads
In order to reduce the straight edge section and simplify process flow, a new symmetrical four-roller bending process is proposed, and its optimum forming process is determined. The main procedure composes of feeding, pre-bending, reverse roll bending, final bending, positive roll bending, unloading, and springback. It has advantages of less production procedure, small remaining straight edge, and simple equipment structure. Three methods are adopted to study the process, i.e., theoretical analysis, numerical simulation, and physical experiment. According to the theory of elastoplastic and geometric relation, the relationship between the reduction of the upper roller and the curvature radius before and after springback is established, and the reduction of the upper roller can be predicted. The symmetrical four-roller bending process is simulated by ABAQUS software. The distribution of stress and strain is analyzed, and the theoretical curvature radius and the simulated curvature radius are compared. The rolling part is obtained from simulation with an ovality of 0.43% and only 1.5 times the thickness of the remaining straight edge. The symmetrical four-roller bending machine is designed, and the ovality of the rolling part from experiment is less than 5%, and the minimum is only 1.74%. The error of most curvature radius is less than 0.5%. Numerical simulation and physical experiments both prove the feasibility of the method. The effect of the process parameters on the curvature after springback is studied by a single variable method. This process provides a new idea for pipe production and helps improve the rolling quality.
KeywordsThin-walled pipe Four-roller bending Four-point bending Springback Numerical simulation Process parameters
This project was funded and supported by the Project funded by China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (2018M641672), Science and Technology Project of Qinhuangdao (201805A007), National Natural Science Foundation of China (51575473), and Doctoral Foundation of Yanshan University (BL18024).
- 1.Gandhi AH, Gajjar HV, Raval HK (2008) Mathematical modelling and finite element simulation of pre-bending stage of three-roller plate bending process. Proc ASME Int Manuf Sci Eng Conf 1:617–625Google Scholar
- 8.Quan TH, Champliaud H, Feng ZK, Salem J, My DT (2013) Heat-assisted roll-bending process dynamic simulation. Int J Model Simul 33(1):54–62Google Scholar
- 17.Gao GY, Yu GC, Zhao J, Zhang ZY (2017) Rolling round process of four-roll and its springback analysis. J Plast Eng 24(1):55–62Google Scholar
- 19.Zhou C, Sun Y, Wu K, Liu QY, Chang X, Sheng YL (2018) Modeling and analysis of process parameters in multi-pass four-roll bending. J Plast Eng 25(03):35–41Google Scholar
- 20.Yan J, Zuo DW, Wang M (2003) A theoretical analysis on the springback of workpiece during two-axle bending. Acta Armamentarii 03:381–384Google Scholar
- 22.Yu GQ, Lu SH (2005) Study of the influence factors on two-roll bending with elastic medium based on finite element analysis. Mech Sci Tech 10:1187–1190 + 1229Google Scholar
- 23.Zhu BS (2015) Research on the forming force prediction experiment of two-roller bending machine. Yanshan UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 24.Gong JP, Li XF, Zuo DW, Kang XJ, Qiu JB (2015) Three-dimensional FEA of manufacturing process of small-diameter split sleeve by two-axle bending. Chin Mech Eng 26(08):1117–1124Google Scholar
- 25.Li J, Li XF, Chen GY, Zuo DW, Sun YB, Min L, Zhu CF (2017) Experiment and simulation of two-axle bending of 301 stainless steel strip with different hardness values. J Plasticity Eng 24(02):28–32Google Scholar