Vibration response analysis on stainless steel thin plate weldments
- 16 Downloads
Dynamic responses of welded thin plates are influenced by welding residual stress, and improving this phenomenon understanding would turn possible to develop a new residual stress detection method. This research investigates natural frequency variations in welded thin plates. Experimental analysis was conducted for eight AISI316LSS plates, 6.30-mm thickness, bead on plate (BOP) and butt welded. Modal variations, comparing natural frequencies before and after welding, are negative, due to longitudinal compressive residual stress predomination. It was detected that higher variations occur for the first torsional mode and the variation for the longitudinal flexural mode is around null. It was observed that BOP welds do not always result in higher modal variations for higher heat inputs, as it occurs with butt welds. Moreover, it shows that, for the same heat inputs, modal variations were higher for butt welds than BOP tests. Numerical analysis was also performed, and theoretical results were compared to experiments.
KeywordsWelded plates Dynamic behaviour Vibration response Natural frequency variation Welding residual stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This study is financially supported by FAPEMIG, CAPES and CNPq [grant number 310071/2014-3].
- 6.Vieira Jr. AB, Rade DA, Cunha Jr. SS (2002) Avaliação experimental da influência das tensões residuais sobre as respostas dinâmicas de placas soldadas. Proc. II National Congresso of Mechanical Engineering, João Pessoa, PB, Brazil. (in portuguese)Google Scholar
- 7.Thomas M, Champliaud H (2005) Effect of residual stresses on modal parameters of welded structures. Proc. 23rd CMVA Seminar, Edmonton, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- 9.Bezerra AC (2006) Simulação numérica da soldagem com aplicação à caracterização do comportamento dinâmico de estruturas soldadas. (Tese em Engenharia Mecânica) Faculdade de Engenharia Mecânica, Universidade Federal de Uberlândia, Uberlândia, Brazil. (in portuguese)Google Scholar
- 10.Viera AB Jr, Rade DA, Scotti A (2006) Identification of welding residual stresses in rectangular plates using vibration responses. Inverse Probl Sci Eng 14(3):131–331Google Scholar
- 11.Charette O (2011) Effet des contraintes résiduelles sur les parameters modaux dans les structures soudées. (Maitrise em Génie Mécanique) École de Technologie Supérieure, Université du Quebec, Montreal, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- 12.Morin O (2006) Calcul des constraints résiduelles due sau soudage par la méthode des éléments finis. (Maitrise em Génie Mécanique) École de Technologie Supérieure, Université du Quebec, Montreal, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- 13.Armentani E, Esposito R, Sepe R (2007) The effect of thermal properties and weld efficiency on residual stresses in welding. JAMME 20:319–322Google Scholar
- 15.Stamenkovic D, Vasovic I (2009) Finite element analysis of residual stress in butt welding two similar plates. Sci Tech Rev LIX 1:57–60Google Scholar
- 16.Vemanaboina H, Akella S, Buddu RK (2014) Welding process simulation model for temperature and residual stress analysis. Proc. 3rd international conference on mat. Processing and Characterization 6:1539–1546. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mspro.2014.07.135
- 19.Malik MA, Qureshi ME, Dar NU (2007) Numerical simulation of arc welding investigation of various process and heat source parameters. Proc FEMS:127–142, Taxila, PakistanGoogle Scholar
- 20.Fachinotti VD, Cardona A (2008) Semi-analytical solution of the thermal field induced by a moving doblue-ellipsoidal welding heat source in a semi-infinite body. Proc. Mecánica Computacional XXVII:1519–1530, San Luis, ArgentinaGoogle Scholar
- 24.Bryan JJ (1973) Analysis of two dimensional thermal strains and metal movement during welding (Master of Science in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering) MIT – Massachusetts Institute Technology, USAGoogle Scholar
- 25.Depradeux L (2004) Simulation numérique du soudage – acier 316L: validation surcas tests de complexité croissante. (These em Génie Civil) Ecole Doctorale des Sciences de L’Ingénieur de Lyon, Lyon, FranceGoogle Scholar
- 26.Goldak J, Asadi M (2011) Computational weld mechanics and optimization of welding procedures, welds, and welded structures. T JWRI, WSE2011Google Scholar
- 27.Soul F, Hamdy N (2012) Numerical simulation of residual stress and strain behaviour after temperature modification. In: Kovacevic R.: ‘Welding Processes’. https://doi.org/10.5772/47745