Toolpath generation for the manufacture of metallic components by means of the laser metal deposition technique
- 92 Downloads
In this paper, a novel toolpath generation approach is proposed for concentric laser metal deposition (LMD) technology, which is an additive manufacturing (AM) process. The toolpaths define the movements to be carried out by the deposition head to manufacture the part through a layer-by-layer construction process. In this way, the characteristics of the generated deposition strategy directly affect the quality of the construction, that could lead to geometric distortions and irreparable defects. This work introduces a toolpath generator that provides several capacities with respect to the previous works: (1) an optimized hybrid deposition strategy that combines contour curves and zigzag filling patterns and ensure a uniform Z growth for each layer by a constant overlap parameter, (2) a multi-axis movement strategy that guarantees the deposition on the previous layer in overhang walls, and (3) a non-planar slicing strategy that adapts the layers to the variable vertical growth in single-bead wall structures with variable inclinations and multi-axis deposition strategy. The effectiveness of the generated toolpaths was proved through the implementation and validation on LMD technologies by the construction of different three-dimensional geometries.
KeywordsAdditive manufacturing Laser metal deposition Toolpath generation Multi-axis Adaptive slicing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors wish to acknowledge the support given by IHOBE society and FEDER funds through the Addieco granted project and Addisend project granted by the Basque Government in the Elkartek 2018 program.
- 2.Liu R, Wang Z, Sparks T et al (2016) 13 - Aerospace applications of laser additive manufacturing. In: Laser additive manufacturing: materials, design, technologies, and applications. Elsevier Ltd, pp 351–371Google Scholar
- 10.Montero JN, Rodríguez A, Amado JM et al (2015) Some optimization strategies for tool path generation in 3D laser metal deposition. In: Lasers in manufacturing conferenceGoogle Scholar
- 15.Routhu S (2010) 2D path planning for direct laser deposition process. In: Proceedings of ASME design engeneering technical conference, pp 1–9Google Scholar
- 18.Rui W, Haiou Z, Guilan W et al (2017) Generation of deposition paths and quadrilateral meshes in additive manufacturing. In: Solid freeform fabrication symposiumGoogle Scholar
- 24.Kapil S, Negi S, Joshi P et al (2017) 5-axis slicing methods for additive manufacturing process. In: Annual international solid freeform fabrication symposiumGoogle Scholar
- 25.Flemmer J, Pirch N, Drinck F (2015) LMDCAM2: software tool for near-net repair, cladding and built-up by Laser Metal Deposition. In: ASME 2015 international manufacturingGoogle Scholar