Atmospheric pressure plasma jet–assisted impregnation of gold nanoparticles into PVC polymer for various applications
- 13 Downloads
Atmospheric pressure plasma jet is used as a tool to design polymer/nanoparticle composite materials for various applications. The aim of this research is to get a cheap and green method for nanoparticle impregnation into polymer surfaces. The proposed route consists of nanoparticle synthesis by laser ablation in water and their impregnation into polymers assisted by atmospheric pressure plasma jet. The impregnation is achieved by increased roughness of treated samples containing nanoparticles which are embedded into such rough structures. This proof-of-concept method is based on pre- or post-treatment of PVC polymer drop-coated with Au nanoparticles by helium atmospheric pressure plasma jet.
KeywordsAtmospheric pressure plasma jet Polymer nanocomposites Nanoparticles impregnation Polymer treatments Poly(vinyl chloride) (PVC)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
N.K. acknowledges COST Action TD1208 “Electrical Discharges with Liquids for Future Applications” which provided relevant discussions.
This work was partially supported by the project “Laser-Cold Plasma Interaction and Diagnostics” (HrZZ-IP-11-2013-2753) funded by the Croatian Science Foundation and partially from “Laser synthesis of Au nanoparticles in liquids” funded by the Croatian Academy of Science and Arts. A.J., G.F., and U.C. are supported by grants M.ERA-Net “PlasmaTex” and L2-6769 ARRS (Slovenian Research Agency).
- 3.Sawant SN, Selvaraj V, Prabhawathi V, Doble M (2010) Antibiofilm properties of silver and gold incorporated PU, PCLm, PC and PMMA nanocomposites under two shear conditions. PLoS One 8(e63311):1–9Google Scholar
- 6.Liao W, Wu BZ, Nian H, Chen HY, Yu JJ, Chiu KH (2012) Fabrication of a form- and size-variable microcellular-polymer-stabilized metal nanocomposite using supercritical foaming and impregnation for catalytic hydrogenation. Nanoscale Res Lett 7(283):1–7Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang RC, Sun D, Zhang R, Lin WF, Macias-Montero M, Patel J, Askari S, McDonald C, Mariotti D, Maguire P (2017) Gold nanoparticle-polymer nanocomposites synthesized by room temperature atmospheric pressure plasma and their potential for fuel cell electrocatalytic application. Sci Rep 7:1–9CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Modjarrd K, Ebnesajjad S (2014) Handbook of polymer applications in medicine and medical devices. William Andrew Publishing, Chadds FordGoogle Scholar
- 17.Sánchez-Obrero G, Mayén M, Rodríguez-Mellado JM, Rodríguez-Amaro R (2012) New biosensor for phenols compounds based on gold nanoparticle-modified PVC/TTF-TCNQ composite electrode. Int J Electrochem Sci 7:10952–10964Google Scholar
- 20.Sánchez-Obrero G, Mayén M, Rodriguez Mellado JM, Rodríguez-Amaro R (2011) Electrocatalytic oxidation of acetaminophen on a PVC/TTF-TCNQ composite electrode modified by gold nanoparticles: application as an amperometric sensor. Int J Electrochem Sci 6:2001–2011Google Scholar
- 30.Bärsch N, Jakobi J, Weiler S, Barcikowski S (2009) Pure colloidal metal and ceramic nanoparticles from high-power picosecond laser ablation in water and acetone. Nanotechnology 20(445603):1–9Google Scholar
- 36.Krstulović N, Umek P, Salamon K, Capan I (2017) Synthesis of Al-doped ZnO nanoparticles by laser ablation of ZnO:Al2O3 target in water. Mater Res Express 4(105003):1–6Google Scholar
- 42.Horcas I, Fernández R, Gómez-Rodríguez JM, Colchero J, Gómez-Herrero J, Baro AM (2007) WSXM: a software for scanning probe microscopy and a tool for nanotechnology. Rev Sci Instrum 78(013705):1–8Google Scholar
- 44.Moulder JF, Stickle WF, Sobol PE, Bomben KD (1995) Handbook of X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, Physical Electronics Inc. Eden Prairie, MinnesotaGoogle Scholar
- 47.Vujošević D, Mozetič M, Cvelbar U, Krstulović N, Milošević S (2007) Optical emission spectroscopy characterization of oxygen plasma during degradation of Escherichia coli. J Appl Phys 101(103305):1–7Google Scholar
- 48.Krstulović N, Cvelbar U, Vesel A, Milošević S, Mozetič M (2009) An optical-emission-spectroscopy characterization of oxygen plasma during the oxidation of aluminium foils. Mater Tehnol 43:245–249Google Scholar
- 51.Zaplotnik R, Bišćan M, Krstulović N, Popović D, Milošević S (2015) Cavity ring-down spectroscopy for atmospheric pressure plasma jet analysis. Plasma Sources Sci Technol 24(054004):1–14Google Scholar
- 52.Zaplotnik R, Bišćan M, Popović D, Mozetič M, Milošević S (2016) Metastable helium atom density in a single electrode atmospheric plasma jet during sample treatment. Plasma Sources Sci Technol 25(035023):1–10Google Scholar
- 62.Beamson G, Briggs D (1992) High resolution XPS of organic polymers. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 65.Phan LT, Yoon SM, Moon MW (2017) Plasma-based nanostructuring of polymers: a review. Polymers 9(417):1–24Google Scholar