Sensitivity study of hardness profile of 4340 steel disc hardened by induction according to machine parameters and geometrical factors
- 32 Downloads
An adequate induction heat treatment operation should always identify, previously, the probable temperature distribution and hardness profile behavior in specific regions of the treated component according to heating process parameters. This paper presents an analysis of the effects of some geometrical factor related to the component and the coil and machine parameters on temperature distribution and case depth of an AISI 4340 low-alloy steel disc heated by induction. A Comsol model was created, defined as a group of process parameters followed by a mesh study. A Matlab algorithm coupled to the simulation model was designed to handle a large number of simulations and export temperature profile data. The case depth is then interpolated from collected temperature data and a statistical analysis was developed to create the hardness prediction model. The experimental tests conducted under the same process parameters support the numerical model results and approve the simulation, the prediction modeling, and the statistical study.
KeywordsInduction heating Simulation Experimental validation Sensitive study 4340 steel disc
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rudnev V, Loveless D, Cook R (2017) Manufacturing engineering and materials processing. In: Handbook of Induction Heating, 2nd edn. Boca Raton, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group xxi, 749 pagesGoogle Scholar
- 2.Guerrier P et al (2015) Three-dimensional numerical modeling of an induction heated injection molding tool with flow visualization. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 85(1–4):643–660Google Scholar
- 3.Guo X et al (2015) Numerical simulations and experiments on fabricating bend pipes by push bending with local induction-heating process. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 84(9–12):2689–2695Google Scholar
- 6.Achraf S et al (2016) Temperature history modelling and validation of fast induction hardening process. In: HES-16 heating by electromagnetic sources. U.d.S.d. Padova, Editor, PaduaGoogle Scholar
- 20.Kochure PG, Nandurkar KN (2012) Application of taguchi methodology in selection of process parameters for induction hardening of EN8 D Steel. International Journal of Modern Engineering Research (IJMER) 2(5):3736–3742Google Scholar