Optimization of mechanical properties of printed acrylonitrile butadiene styrene using RSM design
- 35 Downloads
The aim of this study is to evaluate the effect of printing parameters and their interactions on the mechanical properties of ABS-based specimen, 3D printed by fused deposition modeling (FDM), using the response surface method. The manufacturing direction (X, Y, or Z) and the deposition angle (0°, 30°, or 45°) are analyzed as input factors. The Young modulus, the yield stress, the tensile strength, and the deformation at fracture in tension are considered as responses. An empirical model for each response is built in terms of factors and their interactions. The predicted results are in good coherence with experimental ones. The original contribution of this paper consists in the evaluation of the optimal combination of manufacturing parameters thanks to the MINITAB software.
KeywordsFused deposition modeling (FDM) Response surface method (RSM) Mechanical properties Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bourell DL (2006) Materials issues in rapid manufacturing. Rapid manufacturing: an industrial revolution for the digital ageGoogle Scholar
- 6.Montero M, Roundy S, Odell D (2001) Material characterization of fused deposition modeling (FDM) ABS by designed experiments. Proc Rapid Prototyp Manuf Conf, no March 2018, p 1–21Google Scholar
- 10.Srivastava M, Maheshwari S, Kundra TK, Rathee S (2016) An integrated RSM-GA based approach for multi response optimization of FDM process parameters for pyramidal ABS primitives. J Manuf Sci Prod 16(3):15–18Google Scholar
- 11.A. NF EN ISO 527-2 (1996) Plastics: determination of tensile properties, part 2: test conditions for moulding and extrusion plasticsGoogle Scholar
- 12.C. Ziemian, M. Sharma, and S. Ziemi (2012) Anisotropic mechanical properties of ABS parts fabricated by fused deposition modelling. Mech EngGoogle Scholar
- 13.A. NF EN ISO 527-1 (1996) Plastics—determination of tensile properties—part 1: general principlesGoogle Scholar
- 15.Griffiths CA, Howarth J, De Almeida-rowbotham G., Rees A (2016) A design of experiments approach to optimise tensile and notched bending properties of fused deposition modelling partsGoogle Scholar