Experimental and numerical investigation on thin sheet metal roll forming process of micro channels with high aspect ratio
- 61 Downloads
Traditional punch and die stamping process are not capable of fabricating micro channels with high aspect ratio due to stress concentration and large thickness reduction. A thin sheet metal roll forming process using involute gears as rollers was proposed as a method to fabricate micro channels with high aspect ratio in this paper. Corresponding relations of gear-rollers and formed channel’s geometrical morphology were firstly established as designing guidelines. Then, process characteristics, material deformation behavior, and process mechanism were studied by experiments and simulation. Micro channels with aspect ratios up to 1.0 was formed with thickness reduction lower than 18.7% using 0.1-mm SS316L metal sheets. And both experiments and simulation reveal that thickness reduction can be further lowered down by reducing friction. The forming process of a micro channel consists of two chronological states-forming stage and quitting stage which, respectively, determines the formability and dimension accuracy. Furthermore, process parameters and assembly errors were demonstrated to have great influences on the process’ formability. This paper provides designing guidelines and process mechanism for thin sheet metal roll forming process as a promising method to fabricate micro channels with high aspect ratio.
KeywordsMicro channels High aspect ratio Roll forming process Thin sheet metal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was carried out within the project supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51522506). It was also supported National Key Research and Development Program of China (2017YFB0102803).
- 4.Liang X-B, Cai Z-Y, Zhang X (2018) Forming characteristics analysis and springback prediction of bi-directional trapezoidal sandwich panels in the multi-point bend-forming. Int J Adv Manuf TechnolGoogle Scholar
- 8.Chen T-C, Ye J-M (2012) Fabrication of micro-channel arrays on thin stainless steel sheets for proton exchange membrane fuel cells using micro-stamping technology. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 64(9–12):1365–1372Google Scholar
- 15.Elyasi M, Khatir FA, Hosseinzadeh M (2016) Manufacturing metallic bipolar plate fuel cells through rubber pad forming process. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 89(9–12):3257–3269Google Scholar
- 16.Peng L, Lai X, Ni J, Lin Z (2006) Flow-Channel shape Design of Stamped Bipolar Plate for PEM fuel cell by micro-forming simulation. In: ASME 2006 4th International Conference on Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp 45–53Google Scholar
- 19.Bitzer T (2012) Honeycomb technology: materials, design, manufacturing, applications and testing. Springer Science & Business Media,Google Scholar
- 20.Zhi Y, Wang X, Wang S, Liu X (2017) A review on the rolling technology of shape flat products. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 94(9–12):4507–4518Google Scholar
- 22.Wen Y, Long J (2013) Aluminum honeycomb Core aluminum conductor material forming process simulation and experimental study. Machinery design and manufacture 1:268–271Google Scholar