Research on transition region in sectional multi-point forming of saddle-shaped parts
- 16 Downloads
The design of the transition region is significant for effective sectional multi-point forming (SMPF) of sheet metal. In this work, the characteristics of the SMPF and design of the transition region in SMPF were systematically studied, and the reasonable design scheme of transition region is summarized. Numerical simulations of a saddle-shaped workpiece formed with different transition region design schemes were performed with finite element analysis software and compared with the design without the transition region. The results show that the reasonable design of the transition region can effectively inhibit indentation and wrinkle defects in the sheet metal during the SMPF process. The values of stress and strain were found to be smaller with uniform distribution compared to the design without the transition region. The flow of sheet metal was also more uniform and the distribution of thickness more reasonable. Finally, a series of experiments on 2024 aluminum alloy sheet metal were tested on the multi-point forming press (MPF) to verify the accuracy of simulation results. The results conclusively prove that the reasonable transition region design can greatly improve the forming effect of sectional forming.
KeywordsMulti-point forming Sectional forming Transition region Numerical simulation Indentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Li MZ, Liu CG, Chen QM (2000) Multi-point forming for large size 3D sheet metal parts. Electromachining Mould 2:42–44Google Scholar
- 7.Bai Y, Zhang YY, Zhao G, Chen L (2011) Research on precise forming process of aircraft aluminum large sheet metal part. Forging Stamping Technol 36(4):64–67Google Scholar
- 8.Moshaiov A, Vorus WS (1987) The mechanics of the flame bending process: theory and applications. J Ship Res 31(4):266–275Google Scholar
- 9.Dong DS, Liu CG, Tan JH (2002) The research of line heating deformation. Mar Technol 156(1):29–33Google Scholar
- 10.Sui Z, Liu CG, Cui XJ, Li MZ, Liu W (2003) Development of feed-in device for multi-point forming of sheet metal. J Jilin Univ Technol 33(1):17–21Google Scholar
- 12.Sui Z, Liu CG (2003) Development of control system for rapid shape adjusting multi-point forming press. J Plast Eng 10(5):53–58Google Scholar
- 13.Fu WZ, Li MZ (2003) Study on 100 KN multi-point forming press and sectional forming process. Trans Chin Soc Agric Mach 34(5):186–188Google Scholar