Contribution in analyzing dimensional deviations in ellipsoidal steel heads during deep drawing
- 10 Downloads
The present work is a contribution in analyzing dimensional deviations in ellipsoidal thin-layer steel heads used for high-pressure air brake reservoirs. The dimensional deviations are attributed to the thickness distribution during the drawing process with regard to input geometrical parameters such as punch and die diameter, and also die and punch fillet. The aim of the present work is therefore optimizing the input data in order to respect the initial geometrical requirement. Investigation has been carried out using FEM code Abaqus, on a case example produced by the Algerian truck company according to G.R.C E81-102 standard. FEM simulations followed the process of deep drawing and concerned the effect of the most influencing factors such as the die corner radius, the punch corner radius, and the blank radius. Dimensional deviations are analyzed in terms of variations of thinning along the true dish path and hence engineering models of the corresponding true strain in the straight zone, the knuckle zone, and the crown zone of the dish are proposed.
KeywordsDeep drawing Thinning Ellipsoidal heads Steel Die Punch Abaqus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to thank the Algerian truck company SNVI Rouiba for the grateful help and for the furniture of the material. Financial support has been achieved under the research project. Thanks are due to the staff of the metallurgy laboratory of Badji Mokhtar University Annaba for specimen preparation of tensile tests. A great thank to the mechanical laboratory of Alfapipe of the Algerian steel company in El-Hadjar, Annaba, for analyzing the composition of the material.
- 2.Petrenko V (2017) Railway rolling stock compressors capacity and main reservoirs volume calculation methods, 10th International Scientific Conference Transbaltica 2017: Transportation Science and Technology. Procedia Eng 187:672–679. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.04.430 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Choi J, Choi B, Heo S, Oh Y, Shin S (2018) Numerical modeling of the thermal deformation during stamping process of an automotive body part. Appl Therm Eng 128:159–172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appl.therma.leng.2017.09.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kitayama S, Natsume S, Yamazaki K, Han J, Uchida H (2015) Numerical investigation and optimization of pulsating and variable blank holder force for identification of formability window for deep drawing of cylindrical cup. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 82:583–593. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-015-7385-7 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Takalkar AS, Lenin Babu MC, Thampan GK, Rao JMK, Srinivas K (2015) Influence of process parameters on thickness variation of multistage deep drawing process. Indian Conference on Applied Mechanics (INCAM), IIT Delhi, 13–15 July 2015 Page 1 of 6. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320076017
- 15.Ghennai W, Boussaid O, Bendjama H, Haddag B, Nouari M (2018) Experimental and numerical study of DC04 sheet metal behaviour—plastic anisotropy identification and application to deep drawing. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-018-2700-8