Design, numerical simulation, and experimental validation of a novel electromagnetic blank holding system for conventional drawing process
- 27 Downloads
In this paper, a novel electromagnetic blank holding system (EBHS) for a conventional drawing process is proposed. The system is created to substitute mechanical or hydraulic blank holder force (BHF) with mutually attractive electromagnetic force (EMF). The winding type of electromagnetic coils is determined as a single-coil through numerical simulation. For avoiding the fluctuation of the magnitude of BHF, direct current is chosen to generate BHF. Corresponding magnetic circuit model of the electromagnetic blank holding device (EBHD) has been established to find the mathematical relationship between EMF and input voltage. Besides, several groups of EMF testing data are measured to prove the correction of deduced expression. To validate the feasibility of the novel system, corresponding numerical simulation and experiment have been carried out. It is worth to mention that the cylindrical parts created by simulation and experiment at different BHF agree well with each other. Additionally, the thickness reduction rate of drawn part is controlled at a reasonable level with the application of EBHS, which well validates the effectiveness of the EBHS.
KeywordsElectromagnetic force Blank holder force Numerical simulation Experimental validation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Lai ZP, Cao QL, Zhang B, Han XT, Zhou ZY, Xiong Q, Zhang X, Chen Q, Li L (2015) Radial Lorentz force augmented deep drawing for large drawing ratio using a novel dual-coil electromagnetic forming system. J Mater Process Technol 222:13–20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2015.02.029 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Lai ZP, Cao QL, Han XT, Zhou ZY, Xiong Q, Zhang X, Chen Q, Li L (2014) Radial-axial force controlled electromagnetic sheet deep drawing: electromagnetic analysis. 11th International Conference on Technology of Plasticity (ICTP 2014), October 2014, Procedia Engineering 81:2505–2511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.10.358
- 9.Huang YJ, Han XT, Cao QL, Lai ZP, Cai H, Liu N, Li XX, Chen M, Li L (2017) Design and analysis of a pulsed electromagnetic blankholder system for electromagnetic forming. International Conference on the Technology of Plasticity (ICTP 2017), September 2017, Procedia Engineering 207:347–352. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.10.786
- 11.Su HL, Huang L, Li JJ, Li GD, Huang P (2017) Investigation on the forming process and the shape control in electromagnetic flanging of aluminum alloy. International Conference on the Technology of Plasticity (ICTP 2017), September 2017, Procedia Engineering 207:335–366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.10.784
- 13.Fang JX, Mo JH, Li JJ, Cui XH, Fan S (2014) Electromagnetic pulse assisted progressive deep drawing. 11th International Conference on Technology of Plasticity (ICTP 2014), October 2014, Procedia Engineering 81:801–807. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.10.079
- 14.Cui XH, Mo JH, Fang JX, Li JJ (2014) Deep drawing of cylindrical cup using incremental electromagnetic assisted stamping with radial magnetic pressure. 11th International Conference on Technology of Plasticity (ICTP 2014), October 2014, Procedia Engineering 81:813–818. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.10.081
- 21.Paese E, Geier M, Homrich RP, Rossi R (2015) A coupled electric-magnetic numerical procedure for determining the electromagnetic force from the interaction of thin metal sheets and spiral coils in the electromagnetic forming process. Appl Math Model 39:309–321. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2014.05.032 MathSciNetCrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 26.Arumugam P, ShanmugaSundaram K, KamalaKannan N (2014) Experimental study of electromagnetic sheet metal forming process. 12th Global Congress on Manufacturing and Management (GCMM 2014), Procedia Engineering 97:277–290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.12.251