A collaborative machine tool maintenance planning system based on content management technologies
- 259 Downloads
From product maintenance and service point of view, high-value sophisticated computer numerical control (CNC) machine tools in modern manufacturing factories play important roles: they are manufacturing equipment, and on the other hand, they are also products supplied by equipment manufacturers. There is a trend that manufacturers are extending their responsibilities to the products use phase to meet customers’ requirements for lifetime support and service. To ensure the effective performance and efficient maintenance of high-value machine tools, information and knowledge from their lifecycle should be collected and reused. However, in the research area of product service systems and related computerised maintenance systems, there is a lack of research work on how to integrate knowledge from different stakeholders into the maintenance and service planning process, which is important for modern digital manufacturing systems to reduce machine tools’ downtime and improve their working performance. This project proposed a collaborative maintenance planning framework to connect different stakeholders and integrate their knowledge into the maintenance and service process. The potential of advanced content management systems (CMSs), which are widely used non-engineering sectors such as finance, business, publishing and government organisations, has been explored and tested for applications in the manufacturing engineering domain. The research realised that CMSs have several advantages compared with traditional engineering information systems, especially in managing dynamic and unstructured knowledge. A prototype maintenance and service planning system has been developed and evaluated using a real CNC machine tool.
KeywordsProduct service system Content management system Knowledge management Process management Machine tool maintenance and service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Essop IA, Evans RD, Wan S, Giddaluru MP, Gao JX, Baudry D, Mahdikhah S et al (2016) Investigation into current industrial practices relating to product lifecycle management in a multi-national manufacturing company. Computer-Aided Design and Applications 13:647–661. doi: 10.1080/16864360.2016.1150711 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Zhu Q, Jiang P. (2009) An outsourcing e-maintenance system for improving maintenance of an industrial product service system. Applied Mechanics and Materials, 16-19:1077-1081. doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.16-19.1077Google Scholar
- 10.Rastegari A, Mobin M. Maintenance decision making, supported by computerized maintenance management system, in: 2016 Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium (RAMS), Tucson, AZ, 2016, 1–8, doi: 10.1109/RAMS.2016.7448086
- 13.Wan S, Gao J, Li D, Tong Y, He F. Web-based process planning for machine tool maintenance and services, in: Procedia CIRP, Cranfield, England, 2015,165–170, doi: 10.1016/j.procir.2015.07.018
- 20.Frost A. (2010) An educational KM site—knowledge sharing. http://www.knowledge-management-tools.net/knowledge-sharing.html, Accessed 1 August 2016
- 25.Ricadela A (2000) Microsoft’s knowledge push. Information Week 805:151Google Scholar
- 26.Yang SF, Wang Q, Liu L. (2010) Fault diagnosis system based on knowledge pushing (in Chinese). Journal of Aerospace Power, 25:203–207. http://d.g.wanfangdata.com.cn/Periodical_hkdlxb201001033.aspx
- 29.Frost A. (2010) An educational KM site—content management systems http://www.knowledge-management-tools.net/knowledge-management-systems.html, Accessed 1 August 2016.
- 30.Patel SK, Rathod VR, Parikh S. Joomla, Drupal and WordPress—a statistical comparison of Open Source CMS, in: 3rd International Conference on Trends in Information Science & Computing (TISC2011), Chennai, India, 2011,182–187, doi: 10.1109/TISC.2011.6169111
- 31.Staccini P, Bordonado C, Alet J, Joubert M, Dufour JC, Fieschi M. A customized open source content management system to support collaborative distance learning: the J@LON platform, in: Twentieth IEEE International symposium on computer-based medical systems (CBMS’ 07), Maribor, Slovenia, 2007, 651–656. doi: 10.1109/CBMS.2007.4Google Scholar
- 32.Yen C, Yen C, Hsu J. A web-based CMS/PDM integration for product design and manufacturing, in: e-Business Engineering, 2008. ICEBE’ 08. IEEE International Conference on. Xi'An, China, 2008. 549–553. doi: 10.1109/ICEBE.2008.104
- 35.RealStoryGroup. (2016) Real Story Group—make better technology decisions. https://www.realstorygroup.com/Vendors-Evaluated/, Accessed 1 May 2016