Influence of discharge energy on EDM ablation
- 281 Downloads
In the process of electrical discharge machining (EDM) ablation, discharge energy can heat the materials, activate the surface, and eliminate metal corrosion. We study the discharge energy by building an ablation machining energy model. We show that in theory, the magnitude of the discharge energy directly determines the processing speed of ablation milling. Based on single-pulse discharge experiments, we observe an exponential increase in the EDM ablation pit diameter with increasing discharge energy. The ablation pit model is built to study the effect of the discharge energy on the ablation pit depth. The effect of discharge energy on the material removing rate (MRR), electrode wear rate (EWR), and surface roughness rate (Ra) of the EDM ablation was studied in this paper. The results show that, on one hand, the material removing rate (MRR) and surface roughness (Ra) have a direct relationship with the discharge energy. On the other hand, the electrode wear rate (EWR) has an inverse relationship with the discharge energy.
KeywordsElectrical discharge machining (EDM) EDM ablation Microcosmic model Energy model Discharge pit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Gu L, Zhao WS, Zhang ZH, Kang XM (2006) Mist-Jetting-ED-Milling and its mechanism. Electromachin Mould 02:1–4Google Scholar
- 8.Tang CJ, Kang XM, Zhao WS (2008) Experimental study of submersed gas-jetting EDM. Electromachin Mould 03:16–20Google Scholar
- 9.Ding LS, Kang XM, Zhao WS (2009) Surface modification of titanium alloy through electrical discharge machining (EDM). Electromachin Mould 04:6–8Google Scholar
- 10.Wang XZ, Liu ZD, Xue RY, Tian ZJ, Hang YH (2013) Research on self-mixed oxygen in discharge gap to improve the processing characteristics of titanium alloy electrical discharge machining. Acta Aeronaut Astronaut Sin 34(10):2419–2426Google Scholar
- 11.Liang CH, Zhou JP, Zhu ZJ, He Y (2007) Study and application of short arc large current working technology. Mod Manuf Eng 12:92–93Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang HY, Zhou JP, Liang CH, Tan JP (2008) Discussion on short arc mechanism of processing technology based on analysis of EDM. Manuf Technol Machine Tool 11:38–42Google Scholar
- 16.Wang XZ, Liu ZD, Qiu MB, Tian ZJ, Huang YH (2014) Research on the influence of gas pressure on the EDM Ablation of titanium Alloy. Acta Aeronaut Astronaut Sin 35:1–9Google Scholar
- 17.Zhang WY (1995) Welding metallurgy (fundamental). China Machine Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- 18.Li MH (1989) Theoretical basis of EDM. National Defence Industry Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar