The effect of laser beam wobbling mode in welding process for structural steels
A laser welding process using a 30-kW fiber laser with scanning mode optics is investigated in the paper. Welding is conducted in two ways: constant laser beam trajectory and wobbling trajectory with the use of lower speed and power. The main goal was to investigate the influence of the second wobbling laser welding pass on microstructure and mechanical properties of structural steel. The following parameters were monitored: visual control and mechanical properties (microhardness, three-point bend, and Charpy impact V-notch test); metallographic analysis and 2D and 3D computer tomography (CT) were also done. The results show that after the second welding pass, with wobbling trajectory of laser beam, middle and cap parts of the seam have a lower microhardness, in relation to the root part. It can be explained by annealing influence of the second wobbling pass at weld metal.
KeywordsWobbling beam trajectory Fiber laser welding Mechanical properties Ductility Microhardness Computer tomography Microstructure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Fersini M, Sorrentino S, Zilli G (2010) Duplex stainless steel for bridges construction: comparison between SAW and Laser-GMA hybrid welding. Weld World 5(5/6):2010Google Scholar
- 3.M. Merklein, A. Giera (2008) Laser assisted friction stir welding of drawable steel-aluminium tailored Hybrids Springer // ESAFORM 1299–1302Google Scholar
- 15.Chen Q, Wang Y Effect of heat treatment temperature on dissimilar welded joint. China Weld (Engl Ed) 22 (3):60–65Google Scholar
- 18.Liu W, Ma J, Atabaki MM, Pillai R, Kumar B, Vasudevan U, Sreshta H, Kovacevic R (2015) Hybrid laser-arc welding of 17-4 PH martensitic stainless steel. Lasers Manuf Mater Process 2(2):74-90Google Scholar
- 20.Karhu M, Kujanpaa V, Lippold J et al (eds) (2011) Solidification cracking studies in multi pass laser hybrid welding of thick section austenitic stainless steel. Hot cracking phenomena in welds III. Springer-Verlag, BerlinGoogle Scholar