Monitoring the coefficient of variation using a variable sample size control chart in short production runs
Monitoring the coefficient of variation (CV) is an effective approach to monitor a process when both the process mean and the standard deviation are not constant but, nevertheless, proportional. Until now, few contributions have investigated the monitoring of the CV for short production runs. This paper proposes an adaptive Shewhart control chart implementing a variable sample size (VSS) strategy in order to monitor the coefficient of variation in a short production run context. Formulas for the truncated average run length are derived. Moreover, a comparison is performed with a Fixed Sampling Rate Shewhart chart for the CV in order to evaluate the performance of each chart in a short run context. An example illustrates the use of this chart on real data.
KeywordsCoefficient of variation Variable sample Size Truncated average sample size
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kang CW, Lee MS, Seong YJ, Hawkins DM (2007) A control chart for the coefficient of variation. J Qual Technol 39(2):151–158Google Scholar
- 2.Hong EP, Kang CW, Baek JW, Kang HW (2008) Development of CV control chart using EWMA technique. J Soc Korea Ind Sys Eng 31(4):114–120Google Scholar
- 3.Castagliola P, Celano G, Psarakis S (2011) Monitoring the coefficient of variation using EWMA charts. J Qual Technol 43(3):249–265Google Scholar
- 6.Castagliola P, Achouri A, Taleb H, Celano G, Psarakis S (2013) Monitoring the coefficient of variation using control charts with run rules. Qual Technol Quantitative Manag 10(1):75–94Google Scholar
- 7.Castagliola P, Achouri A, Taleb H, Celano G (2015) Monitoring the coefficient of variation using a variable sample size control chart. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. in pressGoogle Scholar
- 17.Nenes G, Tagaras G (2005) The CUSUM chart for monitoring short production run. In: Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Analysis of Manufacturing Systems – Production Management. Zakynthos Island, Greece, pp 43–50Google Scholar
- 19.Castagliola P, Celano G, Fichera S, Nenes G (2012b) The variable sample size t control chart for monitoring short production runs. Int J Adv Manuf Technol 64(1):56–68Google Scholar
- 20.Castagliola P, Amdouni A, Taleb H, Celano G (2015) One-sided shewhart-type charts for monitoring the coefficient of variation in short production runs. Qual Technol Quantitative Manag 12(1):53–67Google Scholar
- 21.Ryu JH, Wan H, Kim S (2010) Optimal design of a cusum chart for a mean shift of unknown size. J Qual Technol 42(3):311–326Google Scholar