Dispatching rules for unrelated parallel machine scheduling with release dates
- 410 Downloads
In this research, we consider the problem of scheduling n jobs on m unrelated parallel machines with release dates to minimize makespan, total weighted completion time, and total weighted tardiness, individually. The problem is NP-hard in the strong sense. We develop several mixed integer programming models for these scheduling problems to find the optimal solutions for small problem instances. We also propose several dispatching rules to find good solutions quickly for large problem instances. We compare our proposed dispatching rules with other existing dispatching rules. Computational results show that the proposed dispatching rules outperform other existing dispatching rules for problem instances of all sizes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Kellerer H (1998) Algorithms for multiprocessor scheduling with machine release times. IIE Trans 30(11):991–999Google Scholar
- 6.Sevaux M, Thomin P (2001) Heuristics and metaheuristics for a parallel machine scheduling problem: a computational evaluation. In: Proceedings of the 4th metaheuristics international conference (MIC 2001), Porto, Portugal, 411–415.Google Scholar
- 7.Afrati F, Bampis E, Chekuri C, Karger D, Kenyon C, Khanna S, Milis I, Queyranne M, Skutella M, Stein C, Sviridenko M (1999) Approximation schemes for minimizing average weighted completion time with release dates. In Proceedings of the 40th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA., 32– 43Google Scholar
- 21.Pinedo M (2012) Scheduling theory, algorithms, and systems (4th ed.). Upper Saddle, Prentice Hall .Google Scholar
- 26.Morton TE, Pentico DW (1993) Heuristic scheduling system: with applications to production systems and project management. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar