Overlap conduction laser welding of aluminium to steel
- 851 Downloads
In the present study, a continuous wave fibre laser was used in conduction mode to join aluminium alloys to low carbon steel. Two different sets of experiments were performed: with Zn-coated steel and uncoated steel. Welding was carried out in overlap configuration with steel plate on the top aiming to conduct the heat through the steel and melt the aluminium at the interface, wetting the steel substrate. Metallurgical incompatibilities between these two participating alloys originate the formation of intermetallic phases. Therefore, restricting melting of the aluminium would limit the formation and growth of the intermetallic layer (IML). It was shown that the power density of the laser could be used such that, at the interface, aluminium only melts and the steel remains in solid state. The uncoated steel showed a regular pattern of IML formation, while the Zn-coated steel showed a different pattern of IML.
KeywordsLaser welding Conduction mode Aluminium Cladded steel Microstructure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kreimeyer M, Wagner F, Sepold G (2004) Development of a combined joining-forming process for aluminum-steel joints. Proc. of the 23rd International Cong. on Applications of Lasers & Electro-OpticsGoogle Scholar
- 9.Thomy C, Grupp M, Schilf M, Seefeld T, Vollertsen F (2004) Welding of aluminium and steel with high-power fibre lasers. Proc 23rd Int. Cong. on Applications of Lasers & Electro-OpticsGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sierra G, Peyre P, Deschaux Beaume F, Stuart Frédéric Coste D, Fras G (2004) Nd:YAG laser welding of aluminium to low carbon steel. Proc. 23rd Int. Cong. Applications of Lasers & Electro-OpticsGoogle Scholar
- 11.Mathieu A, Pontevicci S, Viala JC, Cicala E, Mattei S (2006) Laser brazing of a steel/aluminium assembly with hot filler wire (88 %AL, 12 % Si). Mater Sci Eng A 435:19–28Google Scholar
- 13.Assuncao E, Williams S, Yapp D (2010) Interaction time effects on the transition between conduction and keyhole laser welding, Proc. 29th Int. Congr. on Applications of Lasers and Electro-Optics, ICALEO 103:209-216Google Scholar
- 14.Okon P (2003) Laser conduction welding of aluminium alloys. PhD Thesis, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UKGoogle Scholar
- 15.ASM (1998) ASM handbook: volume 3: alloy phase diagram, 2nd edn. ASM International, NYGoogle Scholar
- 17.Thomy C (2009) Hybrid laser-arc welding of dissimilar metals. In: Olsen FO (ed) Hybrid laser-arc welding. Woodhead Publishing Limited, CambridgeGoogle Scholar