Outline of a fault diagnosis system for a large-scale board machine
- 442 Downloads
Global competition forces the process industries to continuously optimize plant operation. One of the latest trends in efficiency and plant availability improvement is to set up fault diagnosis and maintenance systems for online industrial use. This paper presents a methodology for developing industrial fault detection and diagnosis (FDD) systems. Since model- or data-based diagnosis of all components cannot be achieved online on a large-scale basis, the focus must be narrowed down to the most likely faulty components responsible for abnormal process behavior. One of the key elements here is fault analysis. The paper describes and briefly discusses also other development phases, process decomposition and the selection of FDD methods. The paper ends with an FDD case study of a large-scale industrial board machine including a description of the fault analysis and FDD algorithms for the resulting focus areas. Finally, the testing and validation results are presented and discussed.
KeywordsFault monitoring Fault diagnosis Large-scale systems Paper industry Industrial application Board machine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ABB AS (2010) EFDD — early fault and disturbance detection, condition monitoring & production optimization. Available from: http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot267.nsf/veritydisplay/b16e798c97c2db7d8525771b004c4500/$file/tp004_efdd.pdf. Accessed 25 Oct 2010
- 3.Chung H, Bien Z, Park J, Seong P (1994) Incipient multiple fault diagnosis in real time with application to large-scale systems. IEEE Trans Nucl Sci 33(8):1943–1954Google Scholar
- 5.Ding SX (2008) Model-based fault diagnosis techniques, 1st edn. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- 6.Edthofer F, van der Broeke J, Ettl J, Lettl W, Weingartner A (2010) Reliable online water quality monitoring as basis for fault tolerant control. In: Conference on control and fault tolerant systems, Nice, France, 6–8 Oct 2010Google Scholar
- 7.Gensym Corporation (1997) G2 reference manual volume 1 version 5. Gensym Intelligent Real-Time Systems, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 8.Gensym Corporation (1997) Getting started with G2 tutorials version 5. Gensym Intelligent Real-Time Systems, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 10.Honeywell Inc. (2005) Abnormal situation management for industry. Available from: http://statusreports.atp.nist.gov/reports/94-01-0169PDF.pdf. Accessed 2 November 2010.
- 11.Horch A (2006) Method and a system for evaluation of static friction. United States Patent US 7047152Google Scholar
- 13.Jämsä-Jounela SL (2011) Fault diagnosis methods and their applications in the process industry. In: COSY 2011, special international conference on complex systems: synergy of control, computing & communications, Ohrid, Macedonia, 16–20 Sep 2011Google Scholar
- 16.Langergraber G, Weingartner A, Fleischmann N (2004) Time-resolved delta spectrometry: a method to define alarm parameters from spectral data. Water Sci Technol 50(11):13–20Google Scholar
- 17.Langergraber G, van der Broeke J, Lettl W, Weingartner A (2006) Real-time detection of possible harmful events using UV/vis spectrometry. Spectrosc Eur 18(4):1–4Google Scholar
- 19.Lee K, Ren Z, Huang B (2008) Novel closed-loop stiction detection and quantification method via system identification. In: ADCONIP conference, Jasper, Canada, 4–7 May 2008Google Scholar
- 22.Morison D, Foslien W, MacArthur W, Jofriet P (2006) The early event detection toolkit. Available from: http://hpsweb.honeywell.com/NR/rdonlyres/9998BC23-0175-4937-AA20D86772E52E5B/15009/EarlyEventDetectionToolkitWhitePaper.pdf. Accessed 30 Oct 2010
- 23.Power Y, Narozny JA, Barnfield A (2009) Intelligent asset performance management of a uranium solvent extraction circuit. In: IFACMMM 2009, IFAC workshop on mining, mineral and metal industry, vina del Mar, Chile, 14–16 Oct 2009Google Scholar
- 24.Pozo Garcia O, Myller T, Kulomaa T, Hämäläinen V, Jämsä-Jounela SL (2011) An application of shape-based stiction detection in critical valves of a board machine. In: 1st Papyrus workshop on fault diagnosis and fault-tolerant control, Porticcio, France, 6–7 Oct 2011Google Scholar
- 27.Sundholm P (2000) Mill operations in production of main paper and board grades. In: Paulapuro H (ed) Papermaking part 1, stock preparation and wet end, FAPET Oy, pp 12–55Google Scholar
- 31.Venkatasubramanian V (2010) Systemic risks management in complex process plants: challenges, opportunities and emerging trends. In: Conference on control and fault tolerant systems, Nice, France, 6–8 Oct 2010Google Scholar
- 35.Zakharov A (2011) A method for detecting faults or controlling and/or optimizing of an industrial process or a part of it. Finnish Patent Application 20116321 (submitted)Google Scholar