A NURBS interpolation algorithm with continuous feedrate
- 399 Downloads
The high-speed precision machining of a part requires minimal feedrate fluctuation and contour error, and parametric spline interpolations have proven to be superior over linear and circular interpolations. However, parametric spline interpolations may result in large feedrate fluctuation due to an inaccurate mapping between the spline parameter u and the displacement S. This paper presents a non-uniform rational B-spline interpolation algorithm with compensatory parameter to minimize feedrate fluctuation and contour error. Since the cubic or quintic polynomials expressing the u-S mapping are acquired, they can be calculated by two consecutive interpolation points with the continuity condition. Thus, the parameter u can be calculated quickly and accurately by substituting the desired displacement S into the cubic or quintic polynomials. Simulation shows that the feedrate fluctuation of the proposed algorithm is much smaller than that of Taylor interpolation algorithms and Feed correction algorithm.
KeywordsNURBS interpolation Feedrate fluctuation Contour error u-S modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ding GL (2008) Research on modeling and interpolation of the tool-path based on cylindrical helix spline. Dissertation, Huazhong University of Science and Technology.Google Scholar
- 3.Bedi S, Ali I, Quan N (1993) Advanced interpolation techniques for NC machines. Trans ASME J Eng Ind 115:329–336Google Scholar
- 9.Li W, Liu YD, Yamazaki K, Fujisima M, Mori M (2008) The design of a NURBS pre-interpolator for five-axis machining. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. doi: 10.1007/s00170-006-0905-8
- 12.Xu RZ, Xie L, Li CX, Du DS (2008) Adaptive parametric interpolation scheme with limited acceleration and jerk values for NC machining. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. doi: 10.1007/s00170-006-0834-6
- 17.Sun YW, Jia ZY, Ren F, Guo DM (2008) Adaptive feedrate scheduling for NC machining along curvilinear paths with improved kinematic and geometric properties. Int J Adv Manuf Technol. doi: 10.1007/s00170-006-0817-7
- 19.Heng M, Erkorkmaz K (2009) Design of a NURBS interpolator with minimal feed fluctuation and continuous feed modulation capability. Int J Mach Tools Manuf. doi: 10.1016/j.ijm achtools.2009.11.005
- 22.Piegl L, Tiller W (2003) The NURBS book, 2nd edn. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar