Material removal characteristics of microslot (kerf) geometry in μ-WEDM on aluminum
- 430 Downloads
This paper presents the formulation and solution of optimization of various process parameters for the selection of the best control settings on a microwire electrical discharge machining process. A factorial design model is used to predict the measures of performance as a function of various control settings. Analysis of variance is used to indicate the significant factors. Regression models relating the machining performance are established. The performance measures taken for the model are material removal rate (MRR), overcut, and surface roughness. At discharge energy of 2,645 μJ, maximum MRR of 0.0428 mm3/min and an overcut value of 69 μm are observed. With the value of discharge energy changing from 32 to 4,500 μJ, the Ra value of slot surface varied from 1.17 to 4.25 μm. The analysis gave the average erosion efficiency around of 27%, which showed high sensitivity to the selected discharge energy levels.
Keywordsμ-WEDM Discharge energy Overcut Surface roughness Material removal rate Erosion efficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.http://www.mikrotools.com. Accessed 18 May 2007
- 2.http://www.milcowireedm.com. Accessed 25 July 2008
- 7.Sadiq MA, Rahman M, Lim HS (2008) Study of WEDM parameter phenomena for micro fabrication. Int J Manuf Technol Manag 13(2–4):226–240Google Scholar
- 14.Mahapatra SS, Patnaik A (2006) Parametric optimization of wire electric discharge machining (WEDM) process using Taguchi method. J Braz Soc Mech Sci Eng 58(4):423–429Google Scholar
- 18.Mathew J, Suresh Kumar VB, Somashekhar KP (2007) Investigation into the influence of process parameters on Micro Wire EDM. International Conference on Precision, Meso, Micro & Nano Engineering (Copen 2007), pp 287–294Google Scholar
- 19.Mathew J, Somashekhar KP, Sooraj VS, Subbarao N, Ramachandran N (2008) Effect of work material and machining conditions on efficiency and accuracy of micro electric discharge drilling. Proceedings of eighth APCMP, China, June 2008, pp 550–558Google Scholar
- 20.Somashekhar KP, Subbarao N, Mathew J (2008) Effect of discharge conditions on the performance of micro electric discharge machining. Proceedings of AIMTDR, Madras, 2008, pp 615–620Google Scholar
- 21.Somashekhar KP, Mathew J (2008) Fabrication of microelectrode for micro EDM operation using micro WEDG. Proceedings of AIMTDR, Madras, 2008, pp 639–644Google Scholar
- 23.Montgomery DC (2001) Design and analysis of experiments, 5th edn. Wiley, New York, pp 427–500Google Scholar
- 34.Mishra PK (2006) Nonconventional Machining, 5th edn. The Institution of Engineers, Narosa Publishing House, India, pp 81–146Google Scholar