Characterization of drop-on-demand microdroplet printing
- 294 Downloads
Poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):poly(styrenesulfonate) (PEDOT:PSS) has been used extensively in the fabrication of polymer light-emitting diode displays by drop-on-demand inkjet printing technique. In order to make a good thin film with high uniformity, it is crucial to control the drying behavior of inkjet-printed PEDOT:PSS droplets. In this work, the morphology of printed drops of ∼10 pL after drying was examined and explained in a qualitative manner, which would extend the comparison with previous work described in published literature. Results show that drying behavior is sensitive to substrate temperature due to the high surface-to-volume ratio of a microfluid. There exists an appropriate range of temperatures to obtain a good drop with sharp edge and flat surface. On the other hand, when the temperature exceeds a limit, a ring-like structure was observed. Results from this experiment would be considered as a reference to achieve uniform film after drying and has potential to be applied in the modeling of drop impact.
KeywordsPEDOT:PSS PLED Drop-on-demand Inkjet printing Drying behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Burroughes JH, Bradley DDC, Brown AR, Marks RN, Mackay K, Friend RH, Burns PL, Holmes AB (1990) Light-emitting diodes based on conjugated polymers. Nature 347(539):541Google Scholar
- 2.Yang Y, Chang SC, Bharathan J, Liu J (2000) Organic/polymeric electroluminescent devices processed by hybrid ink-jet printing. J Mater Sci Mater Electron 11(89):96Google Scholar
- 5.Ng YS, Zhou JX, Jerry Fuh YH, Loh HT, Wong YS, Gray JJ, Chua SJ (2007) Influence of piezoelectric pulse profile on forming accuracy of inkjet printed PEDOT:PSS droplets for OLED fabrication. Proceedings of the International Conference on Manufacturing Automation (ICMA), Singapore, 28–30 MayGoogle Scholar
- 7.Deegan RD, Bakajin O, Dupont TF, Huber G, Nagel SR, Witten TA (1997) Capillary flow as the cause of ring stains from dried liquid drops. Nature 389(827):829Google Scholar
- 8.Shimoda T, Morii K, Seki S, Kiguchi H (2003) Inkjet printing of light-emitting polymer displays. MRS Bull 28(11):821–827Google Scholar